Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Rancher 4x4 Mileage Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Rancher 4x4 Mileage Question

Good afternoon. I'm new to the board and new to ATVs.

I've been hunting for many years. I just got permission to hunt a piece of land and it will really only be feasible if I have an ATV to get to anf from the area.

I've been researching ATVs and it seems that Hondas have the best reliability ratings. I've gone into a few dealers, and I like the rancher...but I don't want to lay out $5500+.

I've found a few used in my area. I have no idea what is good in terms of mileage / hours though.

For example, I went to see a 2006 Rancher 4x4 (full auto) yesterday. I looks like it's in great shape, and has 1500 miles (asking $3200).

I plan on using it for hunting season only, then putting it in the garage the rest of the year. That said, I want something that will last with only routine maintaining for a long while.

What mileage is good on average? Do you think 1500 miles for a 2006 at that price is good?

Thanks for the help.

Pete

Old 08-15-2011, 12:19 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

1,500 miles better be considered low. or you would need to buy a new $6000 ATV every 2 years.

There is a Guy on this site who has a 3yr old 2009 550 Polaris XP with over 9000 miles already on it.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ha. Thanks. As you can tell, I'm very green when it comes to ATVs. I know I want something with good reliability, 4x4 capability to get me up and down the mountain, and powerful enough to carry out a deer. Beyond that??? No clue.

Is there anything I should look for when checking these out? Like things to watch for specifically that might indicate a problem? I'm going to check it out again this weekend.

I really appreciate the help.

Pete

Old 08-15-2011, 12:43 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Your talking about the Rancher AT full Auto tranny not the foot shift Rancher? Here they are side by side. 2006 Honda FourTrax® Rancher™ (TRX350TM) ATVs

The AT has no low range while the foot shift (TM) has a super low 1st gear. The AT cost more than a TM due to its more complicated tranny and complicated is not necessarily better as we know.

Here is some owners of 2006 AT Rancher reports and they seem to be happy. Vehicle Reviews for 2006 Honda FourTrax® Rancher™ AT (TRX400FA)

Old 08-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Looks like it's pretty good.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 2010 Rancher AT and love the thing. Shifting is fast and smooth and no problems whatsoever. We plan on plowing snow with it this winter.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

The one I'm looking to get is full-time 4x4 (can't switch to 2x4).

Do they drive / handle ok? Is it only for rough terrain then, or can I take on dirt roads etc.? I know when I put my truck in 4x4 it drives differently and kind of lurches along.

Thanks.

Pete

Old 08-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by peteyg

Do they drive / handle ok? Is it only for rough terrain then, or can I take on dirt roads etc.? I know when I put my truck in 4x4 it drives differently and kind of lurches along.

Thanks.

Pete
Hmmmmm.....I don't know about the full-time 4x4's. In fact, I haven't run ours in 4 wheel drive yet, so i won't know how they handle until this winter. I don't do much mudding with it, so haven't had a need for 4 wheel drive as of yet.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by peteyg

Thanks.

Pete
I used to have a Rubicon that was full time 4x4. It drives a little different but it is not that bad, it is designed differently than a truck. You can take it on any kind of road you want.

Warn makes a kit where you can take it out of four wheel drive. It costs a couple hundred bucks.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default some things to consider with the 2006 rancher

The 400 and 350 are quite different in many regards.

The 400 has no manual gear shift capabilty as does the 350.
life saver when electronic shift problems occur. If you plan on mudding or going thru water prepair for ECU failures...

these have no axle drive lockout so you will not have as good as traction verses a quad with this feature.

the 400 has no external clutch adjustment as it uses a hydro fluid drive type transmission which is not as responsive in my opinion.

400 has a slightly larger turning radius but can carry a few more pounds.

IF I WHERE NEEDING THE MOST DEPENDABILTY I WOULD CHOOSE THE 350 OVER THE 400.

Quick Reply: Honda Rancher 4x4 Mileage Question