Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

****New 400ex owner****

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking ****New 400ex owner****

Ok im new to this site but im here for answers, im a first time owner of a 2001 400ex im a pretty mechanically incline so im pretty sure i can take care of this thing no problem but i like to kno a lil bit about something b4 i start to tear into it and go through the dreaded trial an error process =b. My first question is about the oil, i drained both the motor and tank then filled it up with one quart of honda full synthetic, then let it idle, then put in my sencond qt plus a lil extra, let it idle. but its not registering at all but maybe a lil dab after i ran it for awhile. I dont get it the book calls for 2.2 qts. and i put in 2.5 and it reads nothing?? what gives???

Old 09-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with that front oil tank, it is a bit more fun to check the oil, best way is to run it, then shut it off, then wait 30 sec or so, and check the dipstick,should show you what your level is at. If it sits too long, it drains back into the motor and gives false low readings.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok thx ill try tht, what about the front end you kno much about tht? Its kinda difficult to keep goin strait especially on a road at high speeds it kinda like fish tails left to right, resources lead me to believe it might be my alignment? Wat do you think?

Old 09-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe it needs the toe adjusted. Not sure what spec is though.

Might also be bad rear axle bearings. Jack it up and grab a tire and see if you can move the axle up & down or front to back. If yes, bad bearings.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:02 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by budedm
Maybe it needs the toe adjusted. Not sure what spec is though.

Might also be bad rear axle bearings. Jack it up and grab a tire and see if you can move the axle up & down or front to back. If yes, bad bearings.

was also thinking the same about the rear carrier bearing...

Old 09-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

May also want to take a look at the sprockets and chain. If the axle is sliding a bit, it's gonna wear those out quicker too.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned before, toe is very important, first, jack up the front and grab the wheel at the top and bottom and see if it has any play in it, worn/loose spindle bearings can raise hell with steering. With the handlebars set on straight ahead, measure the distance from the back of the front tires, and the front of the tires, that will tell you if you are toed in or out, you want to be about 1/4" or so toed out, that is the front is spread out slightly more than the back edge. Also make sure the tires are evenly spaced, not one pointed out and one straight ahead. Worn out axle bearings can make the back end wander around as well, like the others have stated.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

Here's a good procedure to adjust toe in/out. Lets' say the manual says toe in 3/4". Put a chaulk mark on the very front of each front tire on a center tread. Mark them in the exact same manner. Roll the quad and tires so that the marks are in the exact front. Measure the distance between the marks. Then roll the quad back until the marks are in the exact rear of the front tires. Measure between the marks. You might have to roll a little further back if the fenders or frame get in the way of measuring. The front measurement should be 3/4" less than the back measurement. (the fronts of the tires are closer together than the backs). Adjust the tie rods until you get the measurement right. Don't worry about centering the handlebars yet, just get the toe in right. Make sure when you are finished adjusting that the tie rods rotate back and forth freely without binding throughout the entire steering range. Turn the wheels all the way in one direction and make sure the tie rods are free. Turn it all the way the other way and check. Then set them straight ahead and check. Once you get the toe in right, check if the handle bars are straight when riding. If they aren't, adjust each tie rod the same amount until they are. If the bars are turned to the right when the quad is going straight down the road, lengthen the tie rod on the left and shorten the tie rod on the right. One full turn each or whatever. Then re check the toe in. It can be a tedious job but when it's done, you'll have good handling and the bars will be straight.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea my rear carrier is brand new so I kno Fer sure its not tht, and the front hub bearings are tight, I noticed the front left upper a arm ball joint has slight play in it when n I grab the tire to move it, would tht have anything to do with it

Old 09-22-2011, 06:34 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Swifty729
Yea my rear carrier is brand new so I kno Fer sure its not tht, and the front hub bearings are tight, I noticed the front left upper a arm ball joint has slight play in it when n I grab the tire to move it, would tht have anything to do with it
a slightly worn ball joint might make it a little wobbly over bumps- but I don't think you'll fish-tail like you said you were-

is the frame bent? are all your lugnuts tight? (don't laugh- I've had lugs come loose!)

Quick Reply: ****New 400ex owner****