Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

need help with 1994 Honda 300 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with 1994 Honda 300 4x4

Good morning and thank you in advance for your help. I've got a problem with my 1994 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 it was running fine and we took it for a short ride and it would not idle and died after trying over and over to get it started we finally got it to start and took it back home when we got there we tried to let it idle and it died again and would not start so I started working on it trying to get it to start and we finally got it to start by working the hand throttle anyway I got it started loaded it on my trailer and brought it to my house and started working on it. Of course the first thing I did was to check for spark and of course there is no spark so I went and bought a new plug still no spark. The next thing I did was take the coil off and had it tested at the Honda dealer and they say it is fine and told me to check the stator or pulse generator that was more than likely where the problem was going to be. Well needless to say I'm not the most gifted guy when it comes to using a multimeter and I'm always trying to second guess myself because I really never know if I have it in the right position to test or even if I'm taking the right test. So because of tha my buddy has a 1993 that is exactly like mine so I go get his and it is a running bike and bring it down here and park it right in front of mine so every test I take I take on both bikes and it doesn't seem to me that the readings that I'm getting between the two bikes are different enough to cause mine not to start so I'm thinking it is something besides the stator or pulse generator so I will give you the readings that I got between the tow bikes my 94 I will refer to as the red bike and his 93 I will refer to as the blue bike now remember the blue bike is a running bike.

these tests were taken with the meter set in ohms at R x 100.

Red bike readings
CDI box HM5 3147
male connector to stator
blue wire with yellow stripe 3.44 ohms
green wire 00.3 ohms
yellow wire no reading

Blue bike
CDI box HC5 3047
male connector to stator
blue wire with yellow stripe 3.30 ohms
green wire 00.2 ohms
yellow wire no reading

then I tested the three yellow wires at the pulse generator.

testing the 3 yellow wires to ground I got these readings

Red bike
3.50 ohms
3.49 ohms
3.49 ohms

Blue bike
3.35 ohms
3.35 ohms
3.76 ohms

then I tested by inserting a pigtail across the pulse generator connection from male to female with the pigtail stripped in the middle I then checked for an ohms reading from the bare wire to ground.

Red bike
pigtail readings
3.36 ohms
3.39 ohms
3.67 ohms

Blue bike
pigtail readings
4.17 ohms
4.14 ohms
4.18 ohms

Ok guys here are all of the readings that I have taken any help would be greatly appreciated. Remember the blue bike runs the red one doesn't.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't really offer any help to you for diagnosing your problem, but when you get ready to purchase parts for your ATV, you can find just about everything you'll need for your model here. Good luck with your repairs.