Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

No two strokes in 2002!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2001, 02:59 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda has announced the new bikes and atvs in 2002 will be four strokes. What better manufactuer to put out a high powered/ low cc engine than Honda. This is why I continue to buy Honda. They can redesign and still compete with the higher cc like the raptor. WAY TO GO HONDA!

Old 03-16-2001, 03:29 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

yeah, the only 2 strokes honda makes is the 700W generator and the Aero 50 scooter, no huge loss.

Old 03-16-2001, 09:54 AM
Trailblazer

I do believe that Honda will keep making there 2-stoke Motocross bikes like the CR250R,CR125R,CR80R,and CR80R Expert. Those are all closed Course bikes and I believe that they will continue to make those 4 models. They might make a new CR250F 4-stroke Motocross bike like Yamaha did with the YZ250F and they might also make something like a CR426F to compete in the 250 2-stroke class. Thats just what I think I am not trying to be an A** or anything. Matt

Old 03-16-2001, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

They will build 2 stroke mx bikes.
I said this a while ago...and willsay it again.
The AMA does not allow prototypes bikes for more than 1 year (see the 400yzM with Doug Henry 2-3(?) years ago). So how could they explain that their racers ride a "stock" bike whereas they don't sell them anymore.
Remember the Suzuki RMs with the conventional forks (non upside down) for 2-3 years (96-97 maybe 98). These forks suited better nearly everyone, but were not rigid enough to 2 guys (actually a bit more) : Greg Albertyn and Jeremy Mac Grath. They couldn't change only the race bikes to upside down (AMA regulations) so the stocker quickly came back with an upside down. That's also a reason why mx bikes are much better performing and much tougher than quads. Manufacturers are not allowed to build different bikes for the racers. It must be the "out of the door" bike (almost).
Expect to see 2 stroke CRs until all 4 strokes are not ready.

Old 03-16-2001, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

I heard the 4 stroke experiment will soon be over.The race fan do not understand why 4 strokes need such a large cc advantage to race agianst 2 strokes.What they are thinking about is the idea of only 250cc bike race in the 250 races and 125cc bike only race in the 125 class races,why does that seem to make so much sense?

So Honda should not give up on the CR line to early.

Old 03-16-2001, 10:43 AM
Range Rover

honda is testing a 4 stroke mx
bike it called the RC450

86trx200sx
turf tamers

Old 03-16-2001, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

I know they're testing (don't know the name).
They're doing stuff in order to reduce the inertia of this engine (the engine has one camshaft actuating both intake valves, while the exhaust are operated by pushrods)...and that's pretty much all they will say for now.
However (going back to my previous reply), 4 strokes don't seem to have the preference of riders, especially in SX (they like the responsiveness of 2 strokes). Maybe things will change. But not tomorrow, I guess.

Old 03-16-2001, 11:10 AM
Range Rover

American Honda reports record motorcycle and ATV sales for 2000

American Honda Motor Company's Motorcycle Division reports an increase of 44,743
motorcycles over 1999. Honda sales grew at an unprecedented rate of 34.5%, putting them number one in market share. American Honda's ATV sales also soared in 2000, ending the year with an increase of 29.6%. Honda is also the number one in the market share with a 32.6% slice of the total market.

American Honda announced recently announced that beginning with the 2002 model year, Honda would only mass-produce four-stroke powered on and off road motorcycles, ATVs and scooters for the US market. Honda claims that their four-stroke engine designs will set new industry standards for quiet, efficient, power, and that four-strokes are a responsible answer to environmental issues. In other words don’t hold your breath while waiting for a new 250R. Looks like they are set on making thumpers.

More Honda news
Kihachiro Kawashima, founder of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. and special advisor to Honda Motor Co., Ltd., passed away Dec. 25, 2000, in Japan due to complications from acute pneumonia. Kawashima was 81 years old.
NOT JUST HEARSAY ANYMORE!

Old 03-16-2001, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

I had heard about this Honda News...the arguing can start on "mass-produced". Do they consider the CR line up a mass production bike or a closed course bike? If oyu look at it, the CRs are the only 2 stroke left (except some 50cc, maybe). All other (XR...etc) are already 4 strokes.
I hope they will not stop the CRs though. I'm already sad they stopped the 500...they can't stop the smaller ones...they can't
PS : it was sure they wouldn't get the 250R started again, when 4 stroke perform as well as 2, with added torque. The centrifugal force that bothers the pros mxer doesn't matter in a quad I guess.

Old 03-16-2001, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Zorro,
I'm not positive what Honda considers "Mass Production". I do know that in the auto industry "Mass Production" is reached at 500 units.

If that's the case with Honda, the CR line up will be gone, because I'm sure they make more than 500 CR's. I saw a race last weekend on ESPN and a 4 stroke was in second place behind Mcgrath, and I think Albertine was third. I saw it live, so they are starting to race motocross with 4 strokes right now. After I saw that I knew Honda meant business, and I'll bet there will still be a CR line up, but I think they will have 4 strokes in them next year.

Quick Reply: No two strokes in 2002!