Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Help choose a snowmobile.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would NOT suggest purchasing a Sno-Pro model of any brand, as they tend to be finnicky and hard to properly tune, and therefore very easy to blow up. They react greatly to minor changes in temperature and air pressure, and thus are very easy to screw up pretty badly. Also, because they are snow cross sleds, the suspension is usually unbelievably stiff, which makes for a nasty trail ride. To top it off, generally they are not covered under a warranty, and the average dealer will not work on them in most cases, because they don't know what has been done to them as far as modifications.

Also, you cannot get any snow cross sleds in the 700-800cc range, as they just don't make 'em. Arctic Cat offers a ZR440 SnoPro Snow Cross and Cross Country (both liquid), and a Z440 SnoPro (fan). Polaris offers an XCF440 (fan), and a ProX 440 and 600 (liquids). Ski-doo has an MX Zx 440 (liquid), and I believe they have a fan cooled model, as well. Currently, Yamaha has no snow cross entries (because the rear skids are so weak that they collapse, plus the fact that they don't have a 440).

Your best bet would be to stick to the full production models.

Old 03-19-2001, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer

get ski-doo, i have a mxz 600 and my dad has the new mxz 800 and we love them. they handle great and are very fast. like the other guy said if you getting a twin get the 800 mxz because it is the fastest and has the most power for the twins. but if you really want a lot of power i would go with either the mach z or the thunderchicken(thundercat) but for all around go with the mxz800 best sled you can buy.

Old 03-19-2001, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Get a Polaris, in the Edge Chassis.
They out-handle everything else and have the best clutching and power. Plus their motors are now built right here in the USA.

Polaris quads might be boat anchors but their sleds kick some a**!

Old 03-19-2001, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

400exrydr, the best clutch in the snowmobile world is the T.R.A. on most Ski-Doos. As for power, the only place Polais is ahead of the pack would be their 600cc twin. It is fast. Arctics 800 twin, and Ski-Doo's 800 twin, will both eat an 800 Polaris twin for breakfast.

Old 03-20-2001, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

I would say the Ski-Doo Renegade800. Built on the MXZ, newer ZX chassis with improved suspension and a powder snow-ready track. Best of both worlds. Get a big cc engine!

But-->
I have heard that that new 600 from Polaris is the best mix of sno-cross and trail riding.

Only one suggestion: I run an MXZ 670 H.O. and I ride with Zorro who has an MXZx 440. Mine may have more power but if you want to do some serious jumping, get the x-package suspension with remote resevoirs. That 440 just jumps much better with better handling.

Good Luck!

Old 03-20-2001, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

Oops! You said power...not powder! Check out the real muscle machines from Ski-Doo. The Mach Z's and Mach 1's. Power, weight for cumfy trail riding and precise control for fast trails. Not recommended for cross-country!

Old 03-20-2001, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

On the contrary, my friends Sno Pro rides like a caddy! It eats up the bumps and has a plush suspension! pLus his dealer has no problem working on it or servicing it!

Old 03-20-2001, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

Mhiggins, I have seen alot of bad advice here, I have been riding sleds my whole life and it is my real passion.Drop me an email and I can fill you in on your best options.

Old 03-20-2001, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

Well higgins, I thought about it and instead of going through the hassle of email, i'll just post it here.From what I understand you probably wouldn't want a 440 racer and you wouldn't be able to get one new anyway, but heres what you need to know about them. The Arctic cat 440 The ZR440 Sno Pro is the best as far as handling goes, but their hydraulically coupled rear susp. hasn't worked yet, but it will.The next in line is the Polaris Pro-X440 and it is the worst handling and least reliable, there are alot of "updates" and recalls on the sled.the Next is the Ski-doo MXZX440 a fast good handling reliable 440,a close second to the Sno Pro.But as I said I would not recommend a 440 racer, besides the fact you can't buy a new one, they are highly tuned race machines and require alot of tinkering and tuning.Now as far as consumer sleds here are your choices.You'll want to look at the "performance" sleds the AC ZR,Polaris XC SP,The Ski-doo MXZ and the Yamaha SX-R or Viper SX.The Arctic Cat ZR is the best again of the consumer models if your an agressive rider, and I assume you are.Check out their 2002 line, it has some great features for agressive riding that the other sleds don't.Next you got the Polaris XC SP, they have the worst build quality of all the manus, all of the sleds would do just fine, but polaris is the worst.They have real good power and are the softest sprung of the "performance" sleds.They have good Susp for the trail cruiser type, but fall short in the agressive aspect, ps they aren't the least sporty lookin, check em' out with the blue X package they look real nice.Then you got the SKI-Doo MXZ, once again middle of the road, not a standout, but not behind.Its not specifically for the agressive (like the ZR) and its not geared more towards the cruiser (like the Pol) its a good all around sled(in the sport package) In the X package, it has better shocks up front with the piggy backs and the C-46 in the rear, but it is sprung and valved the same as the "sport" and the "adrenaline" just has the DPM, it doesn't offer anything performance wise the "sport" doesn't.Overall the MXZs are good sleds, however the MXZX600 is pricey, with the 2tone the best price I could find was $7700 OTD!Then you have the Yamaha SX-r 600 and the Viper, the SX-R is underpowered and outclassed by the rest and the Viper is more of a trail cruiser.Yamaha has shown that they doint care about the sled market and i wouldn't recommend any of them.My recommendation? From what I understand what your looking for, go with the standard Arctic Cat ZR (600 or 800)If you spring order it you get $500 "cat cash" for extras and they will probably hook you up with a better deal.Good luck and I will also be spring buying a new sled An Arctic Cat ZR500"Cross Country" Limited Edition.

Old 03-20-2001, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

He has obviously had a good deal of work done to the rear suspension, because in no way, shape, or form could a ProX's ride be considered anything like that of a cadillac (though its handling probably could... its good on smooth stuff, until you go to turn). And you say his dealer works on it?

You sure he's got a ProX?

Quick Reply: Help choose a snowmobile.