Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Help choose a snowmobile.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should get a polaris xcr800 or 700xcsp I have a RMK550 it can get 85-90mph with good snow conditions.Does anybody know what a lightwieght push-rod does to a sled?how much additional speed/power does this add?its $200 from polaris I was thinking of it as a first mod.where would I go to get an aftermarket clutch kit for polaris?how much is it and how many mph or power does it add?

Old 03-20-2001, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

Gary,
I kinda disagree with you on the tuning ...hard to maintain SnoCross sleds.
I have a 97 440 MXZX (maybe they were a little less extreme at that time), and this thing is unbelievable. Cornering is pure thrill. You don't evn need to touch the brakes. I reach the entry of the corner at roughly 80 mph (top speed 90mph in icy conditions...the fastest), I just let off the throttle, use a little body english, and wham I blasted through the curve, already wide open for the next stretch. In these conditions, it does lack power (100 more hp would be welcome ). If you want handling, get the SnoCross, you won't believe it. Just look where you want to go, and you're there, no muscling the handlebar to one side or another...I love my MXZX. Although it's true that it's quite a harsh ride.

Old 03-20-2001, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

Don't get me wrong Zorro, there is nothing Badder than a 440, nothing! But for the average guy they are harder to maintain.The older 440s (96-98) were not as highly tuned as the new ones so they are a little easier to keep singin, but for him a 440 is out of the question.I love the 440s, thats why i'm buying the closest thing to a 440 The Zr500LE.

Old 03-20-2001, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer

Get a polaris 2002 XC800sp It has a US made twin motor and has Variable exhaust motor that really really gose and the Edge chassis is by far the best chassis and suspension it is also lighter than the ZR800 and is race ready. I have a 2001 XC600sp and man doo I love it it can out run a MXZ700 trust me get the polaris you will not be disappointed. It is the fastest 800twin.

Old 03-20-2001, 09:36 PM
Range Rover

Even though i've been riding Ski-Doos for about 6 straight years now, i would have to say to get any of the Polaris XCSP's. I am going out on a limb here, but Polaris could very well have the fastest sled in each class this year with the addition of power valves on their 700 and 800 motors. The people i have talked to and all the mags. that i have read all say that The Edge chassis is just awesome. They say it handles phenomenal and rides like a Cadillac. I am thinking of ordering the Polaris 800 XCSP in blue and yellow. Go to Polaris's web site and take a look, it is probably the best looking sled i've ever seen.

Old 03-21-2001, 03:19 AM
Trailblazer

That polaris is a great looking sled, but I'm either going to get a MX Z800 adrenaline , Mach Z, or a artic cat Z something 800. I haven't found a dealer around me who has info on them. I have till April 15 to get a spring model one which I would really like to get.

Old 03-21-2001, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

I dont think it is a ProX, unless that is the same as the Sno Pro. But I know his is a 440 XCF Sno Pro with an Edge Chassis.

I haven't ridden many snowmobiles other than older ones(newest one I rode before this one was an 83 Yamadog SRV with front and rear suspension).That may be the reason this one seemed like a Caddy. We were up in the mountains in January and there was a long downhill with a whoop section. On the XCF you hardly felt and bumps and it was really stable. The olders sleds wore you out by the bottom!

Old 03-21-2001, 01:03 PM
Trailblazer

mhiggins36 you must not know to much about snowmobiles if you can not even remember there names read the snowmobile mags you will find that the polaris XCsp are the fastest in every class and the best handleing.

Have you ever owned a snoemobile before a 800 has a ton of power and is not for newcomers.

Old 03-21-2001, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

There is no such thing as an XCF sno pro.Sno Pro is an Arctic Cat designation and used only by them on their ZR440 racer.

Old 03-21-2001, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

Higgins,whatever you need to know ask me.From what I understand you aren't looking for a "caddilac" you are looking for an agressive handling stiff sprung sled and the XCSP is the softest sprung of all the performance sleds.Power wise the new (02) Polaris 800 will be competitive with the rest and the 600s, its pretty much a toss up for all out power, but as you know that extra 2 or 3 horses don't mean alot if you are not on a lake, if you like pounding whoops and ditch banging the ZR will be the best.And whoever said the XCSP is race ready, DO NOT listen to him, none of the sleds are race ready, let alone the XCSP.Like I said whatever you need to know, ask me.

Quick Reply: Help choose a snowmobile.