Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Help choose a snowmobile.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fault.... When he was looking before he bought this one he was looking for a Sno Pro, but bought the Polaris instead and said it was like a Sno Pro, but a Polaris model.

His is a 440 XCF with the Edge Chassis though...

Sorry about that.

Old 03-21-2001, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

No problem X, is it an XCF SP? If so thats a pretty bad sled, highly tuned for a fan 440, and great suspenders.

Old 03-21-2001, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure on the SP.. I know it is a Red 2000 or 2001 440 fan cooled. It says 440 XCF on the hood and has an Edge Chassis decal on the back part of the tunnel on the sides.
The clutch engages at 5K rpm.. I know another one of my friends just bought an MXZ 500.. They raced this last snow fall and the MXZ wins out of the hole but the 440 wins on top end! I think they said the Polaris handles nicer also(coming fromt he Polaris owner)0...

How would I tell if it is an SP?

Old 03-22-2001, 09:03 AM
Range Rover

Don't get an Arctic Cat man, talk about poor fit and finish. Cats never run right off the showroom floor(jetting, clutching, etc), and the dealers make you pay for an update kit just to get the sled running the way it should have from the factory. Get a Polaris or a Ski-Doo!

Old 03-22-2001, 11:59 AM
Trailblazer

Here is my advice:
Yamaha-JUNK
Polaris-Pretty Good
Arctic Cat-JUNK
SkiDoo-Excellent
get the mxz 800, trust me you will like it

Old 03-22-2001, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris makes a great sled, so doesn't AC and Skidoo and Yamaha basically. The Viper sounds like it will be the trail sled to beat next year, the zr's seem to be very popular. I would say that most any Manufactuers 700-800cc sleds would do the trick they are all very competitve. but to pick just one a red 2002 800 Edge. There won't be much that will beat it.

Old 03-22-2001, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

X, I wouldn't be so sure that Polaris's 800 twin will be that hot. By the way, Ski-doo will redesign the porting on their 600 in 2002. It should now be on equal footing with the Polaris 600. And now for a little inside info, a friend ( also a Bomb dealer )has informed me that Ski-Doo will release a new suspension package in 2002 that will revolutionize snowmobile suspensions on mass produced sleds.( no details yet ) By the way GaryManilow, you seem to hold a fairly high opinion of yourself. To bad I've forgot more than you will ever know about sleds. Just a joke kid, but really its OK to have an opinion, just don't try to sell it as more than that.

Old 03-23-2001, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

Fast... We saw the 2002 prototypes last month...wow!

SC-III suspension and there was some other suspension but do not remember the details. The new skis with double slides.(right term?)

Very nice. This week-end there is a show for all the new 2002 models where I work.

Brian

Old 03-23-2001, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

FastRotax, thanks for the "insider info" and that display of knowledge really put me in my place.What I know is what I know and I don't speak unless I am certain, the ski-doo suspension is pretty basic, they still run trailing arms which Arctic Cat found obsolete in the 70s, however the Ski-doo is still a nice sled.What I said about each sled is the truth, so anything you want to know please refer to my post, heck you may find some "insider info" on the 1998s!

Old 03-23-2001, 05:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Gary, the only problem with your posts, is you see every thing through green eyes. Don't get me wrong , Arctic Cat makes good sleds. But it is a known fact that they suffer from the worst build quality in snowmobiling not Polaris. I'm a Ski-Doo fan, and I've been through thick and thin(89'Mach 1 ugh!) with them. If someone wants a fast 600, I'll tell them to look at the Polaris's. If someone wants a real fast sled for lake or trail, I'll tell them to look at the SRX700. Its very fast, on a good day it can run right with the 800 triples, and handles better than anyone elses triples. If someone wants a sled for snow-x, I'd tell them to look at the cats. By the way that has nothing to do with the fact that they win most snow-x races, Morgan and Hibbert could win on Kitty Cats. If someone wants a lake racer, I'd recomend a Mach Z with mods. They respond to (Rotax 800 triples) mods really well. Have the Crankshop port it, put crankshop pipes on it, and have Bill Bickford clutch it. Believe me when I say you will be satisfied. Anyway this guy is between a MXZ800 and a SRX700. As I said before if you want a twin 800, get the Ski-Doo. Its the best all around 800 Twin out. If you want a fast lite triple, get the SRX700, and suprise a few 800 trips. Gary your like alot of sled heads, your brand is always best. Well earth to Gary ARCTIC CATS AREN'T THE BEST AT EVERY THING. One note about suspension, you may think the current sc-10 is out of date, but it works better than anything Cats got.

Quick Reply: Help choose a snowmobile.