Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What size trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 04:15 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could anyone please let me know what size trailer would be good for putting a Rancher and a Recon on. I took some measurments with the two side by side and figured that I would need at least a 7'X 8' trailer. Also tell me what else I should be looking for in a trailer. I will be towing them on a class 2 hitch rated for 2500lbs behind a grand cherokee with a v8. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Hogmaster

Old 03-19-2001, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer

Hogmaster,

I have a custom trailer that is 80 inches wide by 9 feet long. The tires are mounted underneath to keep it from being too wide. The ATVs load from the right side. The right side railing is a two piece removable unit that also serves as the ATV ramps. I carry two Ranchers on it without a problem and have a little space left over on the trailer for other things as well as space to move the quads around a bit to adjust the tongue weight. If you're interested I can e-mail you more detail.

Old 03-19-2001, 06:18 PM
Range Rover

I use a trailer that is 77" x 12'. I drive my DS on first then my EX and leave them like that for transport. I tow that trailer with my Jeep Wrangler 4.0L and it pulls just fine. My trailer is a single axle rated at 4000lbs and the trailer weighs around 700-800lbs. Do you have to turn them sideways? I just find it tiring to turn the quads sideways after a full day of riding. Just a thought.

Old 03-19-2001, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer

I don't have to physically turn them. They load from the side on mine. So I just drive them right up there.

Old 03-20-2001, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

I haul a Recon and a 450ES (very close in size to the Rancher) on a 6.5' X 12' utility trailer. I drive the Recon on first and turn it sideways, then balance the load with the 450ES. Like you, I tried to get a trailer to load side-by-side, but even at 6.5' its a squeeze to turn them and the 450ES can bump the sides when the trailer is moving.

It all weighs in at about a ton and, while well balanced, you know its back there. I have a 360 ci (5.7 liter I think) Durango with a class 3 hitch and I wouldn't want to haul with much less -- especially over rolling country roads.

It all works well for me but, if given a wish list, I'd consider the following. I would go for longer over wider -- I don't like having the trailer wider than the truck and it would be just a bit easier to load and balance with both quads straight on (I would think that a 7' wide trailer would be a tight fit on most roads. If going longer, go for tandem axels -- while it adds weight, expense, and maybe a brake connection, it provides a more stable ride.

In any case, go for big wheels. Trailers with 12' tires are for hauling your mower to grandma's, they will burn up the bearings or just wear out quickly on the highway -- not to mention stability issues at speed.

Also, try not to get a trailer that's too tight a fit. The quads will move a little when on the road and you'll end up scratching them on the rails. Plus, you should have enough extra room on the trailer so you can balance the load properly -- a little extra to the front. If too tight a fit, you may have to put up with a poorly tracking, potentially dangerous trailer.

Old 03-20-2001, 04:32 PM
Range Rover

I also have a 6.5' x 12' trailer (Big Tex brand). Mine has a factory rear ramp and 14" sides. It has 15" wheels and bearing buddies. I took it to the local highschool and had them cut out a 6' section of the side rail infront of the wheels on the right side. They then installed another 4'x6' hinged ramp. I can haul three machines sideways on the trailer(Rancher, Big bear, Honda 300 4x4.)It's a matter of pulling two pins, lowering the ramp, drive on, raise ramp, and replace the pins. The side ramp cost $30.00 for materials.

I to would suggest getting as large a wheels as possible, they will save a ton of wear on bearings.

Old 03-20-2001, 05:03 PM
Range Rover

Thanks to all of you. Especially drrod and utahrancher. I really wasnt going to post this message because I didnt think I would get any good info. Between talking about wheel size and also balancing the load, you helped me out tremendously. To tell you the truth I was leaning toward a 6.5'X 12'. Now I have good feedback to reasure me of that decision. Again thanks to ALL. Keep coming with other mods as well.

Hogmaster

Old 03-20-2001, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

UtahRancherRider,

Where did you buy your trailer? It is exactly what I am looking for.

Old 03-20-2001, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer

I would save yourself some trouble and get a 14' trailer. I was going to buy a 12' one, but when I went to get it I saw the 14' and bought it. I am glad that I did, you do not have to turn either quad that way. Believe me you do not want to try and turn either one of those. I have a Rancher and my dad has a Kodiak and neither one is easy to turn. The extra 2' cost about $200 more but it is worth it.

Old 03-20-2001, 05:59 PM
Range Rover

I have a 5x13 and works excellent for two bikes front and back.

Quick Reply: What size trailer?