Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

valve adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve adjustment

2000 honda xr70.
I could use some help. I posted this in anothe forum and got no responses.

I just picked this bike up over the weekend. it needs some TLC. It was barley running so I changed the oil, cleaned the air filter and the carb. I have it running pretty good. The idle fluctuates and it doesnt like to idle when cold. I was going to adjust the valves as my next step. I popped off the side cover and to my supise there is an inner rotor installed on th bike. (that explines the taped up wires coming out of the case). My issue is, there does not seem to be any timing marks on the rotor!! I opened up the timing chain cover and one of the valve covers. As i rotate the engine by hand i tried to line the little circle on the timing chain sprockt with the notch on the engine. when it lines up it the engine does not feel like it is TDC on the compression stroke. when I keep rotating the engine to what feels lik TDC on the compression stroke the little circle on the sprocket is at like 5 oclock. I saw a few videos on you tube but all the bike have the standard fly wheel. Any help would be a big help. Also, What is the best gap to run? I read .005 and others run .003 on both intake and exahust.