Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2005 TRX500FE ES Problem Shop Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 05:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 TRX500FE ES Problem Shop Manual?

I have been troubleshooting a shifting issue for weeks with this bike and I heard that Honda issued a Shop Bulletin or something that helped diagnose the problem. Does anyone have this information or know what I can try. I have tried everything including replacing the angle sensor, control motor, greasing all connectors, adjusting clutch, checking continuity and resistances, and I am about to blow this thing up. Pretty please with ES's on top, I need to get my firewood and get ready to plow fluffy stuff...I'm heartbroken.

It seems that everyone's ES shifting problem threads end with no solutions. I have seriously read about 10 million of them and they all end with .....

AJ

Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Pleased explain what the atv is doing? does meter flash? will it hand shift with the shift tool? Got an hot batt? is atv charging?

Old 10-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

It started this past spring throwing a code 9 but it would still upshift but downshifting was intermittent, I could push the downshift 100 times and it might downshift once. It shifts no problem with the manual shifter. The control motor just sounded sluggish. So I troubleshooted with the Honda service manual and basically came up with deciding to replace the angle sensor. I regret in hindsight not unhooking the battery while doing this but anyways after replacing the angle sensor it started throwing a code 3 and will not shift whatsoever now. I turn the ignition on and after about 2 seconds I hear a light click from the ECU and then it starts to flash three times. I have a fully charged brand new battery in it. I just replaced the control motor; still same problem. Both motors did turn with voltage applied. Both angle sensors appear to vary resistance when shifted or turned with finger but oddly the resistance seems to go in the opposite direction that the manual states but both vary smoothly. I tightened up ALL harness connections and dielectric greased them. I adjusted the clutch. I have continuity when the upshift and downshift are pushed. I feel I have went over it with a fine tooth comb but apparently not well enough. The wire harness seems intact and I don't see any exposed wires...they all have continuity but I have not completely pulled the harness out to inspect just kind of inspecting with the gas tank still on however the whole front end is apart. The headlights and accessory input is disconnected because they are attached to the front fender, but I have tried hooking them up but it doesn't help. I am about to give it an oil change, it needs one anyways, but I am lost right now and it seems like everyones shifting problems go unsolved or the threads just don't state what they did to finally fix it. My only guess now is to replace the ECU but I heard they are bulletproof and feel it will be a waste of money. Any ideas? Thanks so much for any and all help as I need this to work last week.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

BTW, I tried putting the old angle sensor back on to see if it would revert to intermittent shifting but now I still get code 3 and no shifting with either sensor now.