Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

No spark, suddenly died

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark, suddenly died

I have a Honda 700xx and I was riding it yesterday, everything was fine and dandy, until all of a sudden it died. I took the spark plug out and it's getting no spark. I tried a different spark plug, that's not the problem.

My guesses are that it's either the CDI or the pickup coil. But don't these things usually slowly die, not just BAM all of a sudden cut out for good? I could be wrong though.

I'm also not positive on how the measure if their working with a voltmeter. The service manual doesn't seem to be very clear on it. Any advice there would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I know this sound weird But did you accidentially hit the kill switch on the left handlebar [red slide switch]...Sorry this is so easy to do I hit mine all the time.especially when I backup....Good Luck

Old 10-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Trailblazer

lol no that's not it, I already checked that. The quad turns on and everything that it doesn't do when the kill switch it off, so the kill switch definately shouldn't be the problem. I'm going to test the ingition coil today if I call find the right values to test for. I just thought those things died more in a slow process then just suddenly dead.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Did you ever solve this?

Originally Posted by robscherer123
I have a Honda 700xx and I was riding it yesterday, everything was fine Andr dandy, until all of a sudden it died. I took the spark plug out and it's getting no spark. I tried a different spark plug, that's not the problem.

My guesses are that it's either the CDI or the pickup coil. But don't these things usually slowly die, not just BAM all of a sudden cut out for good? I could be wrong though.

I'm also not positive on how the measure if their working with a voltmeter. The service manual doesn't seem to be very clear on it. Any advice there would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Did you ever solve this?? I am having the exact same problem.