1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Yamoto 48cc

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamoto 48cc

My son was running this quad through some big puddles and now I have no spark! I first disconnected all connections cleaned dried and applied dielectric grease and refastened. NO SPARK. I then took apart switch housing to see if the was dirt water etc. No SPARK I then replaced CDI NO SPARK then replaced Ignition Coil NO SPARK then replaced Stator Still NO SPARK. Any and all advise would be appreciated.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have you tested the CDI? have you done the tug test on all of the CDI wiring? have you checked with the multimeter if your "spark" is going to ground through a kill wire? did you try a different spark plug?
the brake switch interlock will prevent the starter from turning over. does your quad have the remote kill or the tether kill under the seat towards the rear? that could be the problem.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Range Rover

CDI is new - all wiring is tested cleaned dielectric - new spark plug - does turn over - does have tether and remote kill, I unplugged both units no change.

have you checked with the multimeter if your "spark" is going to ground through a kill wire How do I do that?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

probe the kill wire on the left handlebar kill switch while cranking to see if it is "killing" spark. AND, i'm not real familiar with your CDI, does it have a kill circuit on it also? if so, test that too.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Range Rover

probe the kill wire on the left handlebar kill switch while cranking to see if it is "killing" spark. AND, i'm not real familiar with your CDI, does it have a kill circuit on it also? if so, test that too.

what should I set my multi meter to in order to test the handlebar switch or just use the continuity tester? The CDI is a 4 prong and yes 1 wire is kill

thanks for helping!

Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Uh Oh... There is a conflict here . You report that your CDI has *four* pins. And you report you have a kill switch pin. That is not possible. The CDI has to have a minumum of four pins:

1) Power (whether is be AC or DC)
2) Ground (every cirsuit need a ground return)
3) Timing trigger pulse (tells the CDI when to fire)
4) Ignition output pulse (goes to the ignition coil primary)

There's no room above for a kill switch input.

If you have a kill switch input to the CDI then that requires another pin in additon to the above:

5) Kill input (ground this pin to kill spark and stop the engine)

So, do you have a four pin CDI or a five pin CDI? This needs to be resolved first. The troubleshooting procedure is different based on what CDI you have...

Old 06-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

sorry Lynn, i'm still learning from you on CDIs. . i didn't mean to give out wrong information. i will leave the technical information/troubleshooting advice to you and the other experts.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:34 PM
Electrical Expert

Jaster94: I don't see any wrong info that you gave out. It was all very good. The conflict is from BruceDeuce when he posted:

The CDI is a 4 prong and yes 1 wire is kill
So let's wait for him to clear this little discrepancy up and then go this way or that - depending on which type CDI he has .

Old 06-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Range Rover

Thank you for responding! It is a 4 pin I apologize for incorrect info and welcome the correction. Bruce

Old 06-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Electrical Expert

This is the generic troubleshooting procedure for "no spark" on a 4 pin (DC powered) CDI:

To troubleshoot no spark problems on a 4 pin DC powered CDI it makes sense to start in the middle (the CDI), measure as much as we can and branch out from there. For the CDI to do its thing it needs power and ground, and a trigger pulse.

1) Unplug the CDI. Turn the ignition switch on. Set all kill switches to the the "run" position. Use a meter to measure the DC voltage on the pin labeled "AC ignition power" in the wiring harness to the ground wire on the 20 volt DC scale. You should read battery voltage (12 volts). What do you measure?

2) Leave the CDI unplugged. Use a meter to measure the resistance of the "Ignition Trigger Pulse" pin in the wiring harness to the ground wire on the 2K ohm scale. You should read approximately 150 ohms. What do you measure?

3) Leave the CDI unplugged. Set your meter to the lowest resistance scale you have (like 2 ohms or 20 ohms full scale). Measure the resistance of the "Ignition Coil" pin in the wiring harness to the ground pin. You should read something around 0.7 ohms (but not zero ohms). What do your measure?

4) Set your meter down to the lowest scale you have for measuring AC volts. 2 volts would be ideal, but some meters don't go that low. In that case use the lowest scale you have. While cranking the engine, measure the voltage on the Ignition Trigger Pulse pin in the wiring harness to the ground pin. You should measure 0.2 to 0.5 volts AC. What do you measure?

5) Now plug the CDI back in. Measure the AC voltage on the Ignition Coil pin to the ground pin using the 200 volt scale. If you have to, use a sewing pin to poke through the wire insulation and then put the meter probe on the sewing pin. But don't hold your fingers on the connection during the next test - there may be high voltage here when the engine is turning. With the ignition on and all kill switches set to the "run" position, crank the starter motor. You should see voltages bouncing around at random values and the meter captures all or part of a spark event. What do you see?
Although 4 pin CDIs don't have a dedicated kill switch input, there are other ways to kill spark in order to shut down the engine:

1) Short the trigger wire to ground
2) Disconnect the trigger signal from the CDI
3) Remove DC power to the CDI
4) Remove the ground to the CDI

This is just an aside... The tests above will point in the right direction, and any of the kill switch methods above will come during subsequent tests.

Quick Reply: Yamoto 48cc