Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

First atv...1986 trx 200

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First atv...1986 trx 200

Hey everyone, new member here and just bought my first atv; a 1986 trx200. Trying to learn all I can about it. It starts and runs well with the pull start but the electric start does nothing, no click, nothing. It has connectivity at the switch so I'm thinking selonoid maybe???

I also discovered after riding it a bit and then starting it the next day that the pull rope has oil on it. Doesn't seem good to me!! I removed the pull rope assembly and once removed the oil was coming out of the lower left bolt. It is a steady flow. Does this mean the block is damaged? I hope not. I am a little leary of tearing anything else apart untill I get some good advise.

thanks, Its a fun ride!!!!!!!

Old 01-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm thinking that the side cover should be a stator cover. It will have oil in it but shouldn't be leaking. I'll do some looking around and try to get back with you. Not sure what this is.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default trouble

Well I found the problem. The bolt in question is long enough to run from the pull start assembly, through the stator cover, and into the crankcase. It was overtightened by the previous owner and the threads are not just stripped but a chunk of the case itself that holds the bolt has broken off. So the bolt goes in and threads but cannot be tightened. The chunk that broke off was still lying in the crank and there were metal shavings as well.

I know all of this is not good. I was wondering if there is a way to repair the threads (maybe with jb weld) then re-tap??maybe flush all the shavings out and hope for the best??

Old 01-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer

I have used quick-steel in the past and it works great. It's a 2 part putty that you kneed together and it hardens enough to drill and tap. I would give that a try before trying to find a case.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

A friend suggested PC7. I have never used it before but he swears by it. Is it comparable to quick steel? whats the difference?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer

Pc7 is like JB weld, it's a 2 part paste. I don't like those as well, because if you screw up the mix, it doesn't cure right and is messier, aside from that, they seem the same.