Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

No spark Honda Foreman 450ES

Old 07-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark Honda Foreman 450ES

New here. Thanks for letting me join!
So I just bought a 1999 Honda foreman off a guy that doesn't run (good price tho) lol. He said it ran fine he put it on its side for about 30secs tipped it back up it died and hadn't been able to start it since then. Changed the CDI box the modulator, spark plug bypassed the kill switch still nada. What else can I change or test. It acts like it wants to start there's just no spark there. It's got me pulling my hair out!! Thanks in advance for all advice.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

May try another voltage regulater if you have an used one to try with... there are real common to go out or get bumpped with an log or stick an damage plug..Right rear on frame rail...sitting on atv...

Old 07-26-2013, 07:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

:-( it's been changed... How hard is it to test the ignition coil?? Do I need a certain tool or if I take it off will honda check it for me? Thanks Papa Hogg!

Old 07-27-2013, 06:16 AM
Pro Rider

To get true test will need an peak voltage tester..Coils IMO not real common to go out but yes they do go out...have you checked the pulse generator and stator coming out of engine? You said tipped over on side plz explain that for us? why was it tipped over? what type of terrain was you in when tipped over?May have tore so wire loose from stator or pulser on the right side sitting on atv follow wires from bottom center of engine to the right frame an see if wires got pull loose there.Thanks an get back here with us...Good luck

Old 07-27-2013, 06:18 AM
Pro Rider

Also how are you testing spark now?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

okay well i took a bulb and tested the ignition coil, you know seen if it would light the bulb no go.. maybe those wires going into the coil?? I guess I need an OHMs meter.. errr I dont know much about it being put on its side bc the guy that i bought it off of told me that.. he was in the woods... this is quite a headache.. seeking a real mechanic tomorrow i think, i know just enough to get me into trouble lol

Old 03-13-2016, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi hope someone can help i have 1999 honda foreman 450es no spark replace the pickup coil Stater regulator CDI everything that has to do with spark took wiring harness out inspected it and owned all wires the only thing I didn't do replace the relay under the seat 4 prong any help would be great

Old 03-13-2016, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by RedneckChick07
okay well i took a bulb and tested the ignition coil, you know seen if it would light the bulb no go.. maybe those wires going into the coil?? I guess I need an OHMs meter.. errr I dont know much about it being put on its side bc the guy that i bought it off of told me that.. he was in the woods... this is quite a headache.. seeking a real mechanic tomorrow i think, i know just enough to get me into trouble lol
I have a really dumb question. Are you sure the handlebar "kill" switch is in the run position? If in the off position, the engine will still turn over but get no spark. I have had three older Hondas come to my shop because of no spark....., and was the kill switch... I know, dumb question......

Old 03-14-2016, 03:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Just had that happen last week. The owner brought a 450 in with a blown main fuse, nearly always the voltage reg if that happens. The boss fitted a new regulator and it stopped blowing fuses, but still wouldn't spark. As i'm more experienced with electrical faults, he left it for me to fix. I started checking the ignition circuit, and after about ten minutes noticed the kill switch in the wrong position. Flicked it over and got a spark. So, two trained Quad mechanics, and it was still a while before we noticed it.

Regarding your problem. I suspect you will have already spent much more than it would have cost to get the local Honda dealership to check the bike electronically. As you have changed everything, this is all that is left. The workshop manual does give the tests, but you need a special Honda adapter on your multimeter to run most of them.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No spark Honda Foreman 450ES