Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bringing a 1979 atc110 back to life

this thread will pretty much be what i am doing and updated as it is done

walked into work the other morning and this beast
was on the chopping block so i had to have it and brought her home the next day

anyways that was thursday and with a little tinkering after work today i think i have a decent start witch is making sure the darn thing click this pic for video even runs
i have quite a bit of work ahead of me as you can tell but next step will be new throttle cable and fuel lines and then i can test the transmission and hi/lo gear selection

basically the plan is look decent and like a honda as well as a strong reliable runner to play around on when i feel like it so stay tuned. i figure this a 3 month or so project

as far as end result something along this is what i will be shooting for

Old 08-23-2013, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you've got a challenge ahead of you. Take it step by step and you might just have a "new" 79 model. Hopefully you can get the outside of it to look like it should after you've dealt with the operating parts.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah thats the plan. 1 step at a time, get it running solid then work on its ugly look. i plan to salvage all existing plastics and the tank but man they are in baddd shape. anyways ordered a throttle cable last nite and will ****** some fuel line and clamps from work this week and should be test driving next weekend

Old 08-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

Do the companies or anyone else even offer replacement plastic for the old machines anymore? Or do they stop after a certain time frame (say like 10 years after the end of the model run)? It's silly in a way because the plastic shouldn't get wore out in the first 10 years.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah i found some on ebay new front and rear to the door for i want to say $210 and saw some ok looking used for $150ish to the door. i dont have that in my budget for this! my front fender rear is broke so i plan to cut and add to it and the rear i actually saw the idea of welding the breaks and cracks in the plastic back 2gether using an old solder iron on youtube last nite

Old 08-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

little mid week update, throttle cable was in the mail when i got home from work so had to put it on. got it off ebay new for $13 to the door it is motion pro part # 02-0014 and was a perfect smooth fit. dug some old lines and clamps out of the junk pile at work for fuel. cable install went fine, lines went fine. i have way way to much fuel coming out of the overflow so i need to break apart and rebuild the carb or order a new 1. also i see both carb mounts the bolts are broke off so it is not tite at all witch that mixed with all the fuel coming out of the overflow is why i think it was stuttering. also had to take of the wheels n tires just to have a look at things. have a nail in 1 rear to plug and the front is very bad, i knew the valve was going to leak as it was jerry rigged but it is also leaking out of 1 of the side wall cracks and there is alot of sidewall cracking on the front tire. no way i will be getting a new tire till i can ride and really test out the motor so i will have to come up with some idea to pull off getting it to hold air. i have a buddy going out this sat riding and i will have to get on it thurs n fri nite after work so i can hopefully get out there and just putt around and see how it runs. anyways i am done for the day heres some pics and short vid. and i didnt realize the thumb throttle wasnt even in view when i did the vid until i was putting it to youtube and it didnt die i used the kill switch so i could pullstart it back up on video, also i need to rebuild the pullstart.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

well a bit of a bummer, on closer inspection of the carb this afternoon i have run into a couple problems. thought the float was stuck and thats why fuel was flooding out of the overflow so was going to clean her out but the float actually has a crack in it so it was full of fuel so no floating that, also didnt even realize the choke is only the lever no open close flap or cover. anyways looks like i am on hold till a new carb gets here (cheaper to buy a new 1 then rebuild old) only 25 bucks from usa to the door on ebay.

hopefully next update i will actually be riding her for the 1st time!