Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

88 trx200sx Sputtering/bogging

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 trx200sx Sputtering/bogging

Hello all,

Im new here, and hoping that someone can give me some help with this issue that is boggling my mind. Im sorry if this post seems a bit long, but the more you know, the easier it will be to identify the problem.

Ive recently rebuilt the top end of this machine, more specifically...i replaced the valves. The Intake valve was somehow bent with the previous owner.

Now this isnt my first rodeo, i rebuilt my whole 400ex from the bottom up, and she purrs like a kitten. So, i somewhat know what im doing, and understand. I also have the honda factory service manual as well and that makes things much easier.

Unfortunately as many people that own this machine know, new and aftermarket parts are extremely limited. So i was unable to replace some parts that may or may not of needed replacement, mainly...valve springs, and valve guides. This is all besides the point of this post.

So, ive got the machine put back together again, and its running!

Heres my problem. Start it up, one pull is all she needs, idles great, jump on start driving 1st gear is great, get up to speed, click to 2nd, and burrrrrrrrrr dies down until i let off the gas...then down to idle fine, again click back down to first...she rides fine again. Once in a while it will run for a few seconds in 2nd but immediatley sputters/and boggs down.

I rebuild the carb with a moose carb kit, but the main jet was too small so i used the jet that was in there before and didnt look too too bad. Put a new petcock on the gas tank. So i have my doubts its the carb or the fuel delivery.

I have not tested the compression, and problably should, but i want to get other folks take on the issue.

Any one out there who can give me some help on how to smooth this gem out? please?

Thanks,
Chad