Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Should I buy this trx440ex or this trx426ex?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy this trx440ex or this trx426ex?

What's up guys? I'm in need of a little bit of advice. I have been looking for a trx400ex on my local craigslist for a little while and stumbled upon a pretty nice one.

The quad is a 2000 trx400EX and has been bored out to 440 which is what I'm wondering about. He just bought it three months ago and had it rebuilt. The reason he is selling it is because he claims he's not much of a quad person and would rather put his time and money into his dirtbike and jeep.

Here is the list of what was recently replaced. All the parts on the list have less than 10 mins of ride time on it.

440 big bore kit piston & rings
Timing chain
Swing arm bearings
Carrier bearings
Clutch
Clutch basket
Barnett Clutch springs
Jetted
Stage two hot cams

It does need a couple of things.

Rear master cylinder (rebuilt or replaced)

New front hub bearings

Valves adjusted
- he says "When you put a big bore on it the valves tap. This one taps also, I'm not sure what is good and what is bad. I've never owned a four stroke before everything I've had has been 2 stroke. The shop that did the work for me never said that they needed adjusted but I don't know.. all I know is that has it tap. From what I have read that is fairly normal when you put a big bore."

He did agree to let me take it to the motorcycle shop down the street from me to let them check it out. They said they would run a compression test and that sorta stuff.

Here are my concerns.

I have read issues about the 440 kits so does
this setup sound like an issue?

What are my biggest concerns with a setup like this and how expensive can they get?

What's up with the "tap"

Really any advice you'd have for me id love to hear.

Also, in your opinion What would you guys say the quad is worth?

Here's the main reason I'm stuck on this on because I'm not exactly buying it... I'm trading something for it and I have two offers I'm down to. It's either this one or a 1999 trx426ex. The reason I would like to get this on is because it has a all the new parts and the other one seems to have a decent (not a ton) of hours on it and I'm sure it's going to need the bearings and stuff done soon. Would that be safe to assume?

I mean I'm not too sure the trx426ex is definitely cleaner but I have a feeling it's going to start costing me some cash but from the sounds of it the trx440 might be worse. What's your opinion on the two?

Thanks in advance for your help!