Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

'05 rancher front wheel bearing issue!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The suggestions were most definitely appreciated!

I ended up using a socket out of my 3/4 drive set and set it in there, clamped the knuckle in a vice and whacked it with a bfh. One hit and it fell right out! Did the opposite side and I had it done in just a couple minutes!

I am currently stuck and waiting on the local Honda shop to get some parts in that they shorted me and that I shorted myself! I am currently very unhappy with the local Honda shop parts department. The guy that works it obviously have no experience with parts and most likely atv's. He shorted me the 2 inner seals, and when I ordered all the parts for the front brakes I only ordered one wheel cylinder for each side and turns out I need 2. Wish that the parts guy would have said something!

Tonight I am going to get the brakes done on the back of the atv, and service the rear diff, does anyone know what gear lube they recommend for the rear diff (90 weight maybe)?

In the mean time I have been working on my jeep and my rhino.Getting all the toys ready for a weekend at Shiloh Ridge on valentines weekend! Can't wait, going to be the first offroad trip my daughter has ever gone on with her ATV!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider

I order all my bearings, seals, pads, etc from Rocky Mtn Atv. I don't bother with my local honda dealer. They are usually clueless.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:59 AM
Trailblazer

I'll definitely keep that in mind next time I need parts.

I am once again stuck.... ugh.... I will never let an atv get this bad again!!

I got the right side rear drive flange off. I got the dust cover off of the brake drum. Now I am stuck trying to get the brake drum off! It has to slide off of the splines and the splines are corroded and it's not hardly budging. I am letting it sit today and soak in pb blaster. Hopefully when I get home I can get that thing to brake loose! I have never had to fight an atv so badly.

I am not too surprised though, this thing has around 4000 miles hundreds of hours and it's all been in creek beds, mud, water, dirt and just about any climate that would kill any motorized vehicle. I love Honda atv's they have earned me as a customer for life and as long as I have funds I will only buy Honda. How ever, WHY DO THEY STILL USE DRUM BRAKES??? Drum brakes are such an outdated system that are a pita to work on, heavier, ugly, do not perform as good as disc, and they can't be cheaper they just can't. With that said, I still love my Honda and wouldn't want any other manufacture. I have friends that ride Polaris, Yamaha, and canam and all of which have been in the shop 10 times to my Honda's once! The Polaris atv's are junk for creek riding, every single one of them that goes with us end up with a bad belt within a month.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:02 AM
Pro Rider

You may have better luck with heat. Don't beat it too much or you could crack it. I agree that Honda needs to ditch the drum brakes.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:09 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If you every get a nasty one just bring it to any garage and they will take it out and put the new one in for $10 in about 10 minutes.

The cheapest place for bearings is a bearing supply shop. They just measure the old bearing. A bearing is a bearing there is no such thing as a "ATV only" bearing.

My Yamaha dealer wanted $60 for a swing arm bearings, I got the bearings at a supply shop for $20, and they only sell high end SKF and Timken bearings,not some china bearing.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 308 Likes on 302 Posts

You can take the shaft and drum out as a unit by removing the LH hub and the four bolts holding the backplate on. The brake cables and breather pipe need to come off but the assembly can then be pressed off if heat doesn’t work.

It’s horses for courses with drum brakes, I mend cockle pickers quads, and the Honda drum brakes quite often work OK for months, but disc brakes don’t last five minutes on bikes used in salt water. The type of brakes that run in oil such as Suzuki 450 to 750 King Quad rears are best. Cocklers won't use anything but Hondas though as they waterproof every electrical connection, other makers don't.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Trailblazer

Welp.... got the drum off.... great.... But at what cost? The backing plate for the brakes is broke now. A piece chipped off of the ring that the dust cover seals to. My buddy says we can just put silicone on it and it will be ok. I am going to price one today, if I can get it cheap enough I will just buy one and be done with it, if it's a fortune and takes forever to get in I will just try and jerry rig mine. It broke cuz my buddy that was helping shoved a screw driver between the backing plate and the drum and applied too much pressure. I told him not to, but he insisted that he was just applying pressure to help get it off.

Anyways, I am still waiting on my parts for the front from Honda. I am going by there today and if they don't have my parts I am not going to be happy. I was really hoping to have this thing done this weekend, and I fear it aint happening!

This has been a nightmare of a job since day one. I am going to borrow my wife's dremel tonight and clean the splines on the shaft so that when I put this all together it slides nice and easy!

Old 01-17-2014, 12:31 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Put never seize on the spline so it slips of nice if you have to do it again .