Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon Info

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-1999, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to pass along a little info. I had a brief conversation with a Honda rep, and asked a few questions regarding the Rubicon.

1. Why did it take so long to bring out an auto tranny? Because Honda did not want to come out with a belt drive machine. They decided to wait until they had developed what they felt was the optimum auto transmission.
2. What is so different about the Hondamatic? Direct drive, hydrostatic, sealed, bulletproof.
3. Why no selectable 2 or 4wd ? Rep claims with the new front diff. it is virtually impossible to tell that it is full time 4wd. Claims the steering is as light and responsive as anything on the market.
4. Why no disc brakes? Because of the Hondamatic transmission. He claimed that the engine braking is so phenominal, no need for disc brakes.

That was all I was able to ask, before we were interupted. He sounded very excited, and said he felt that the rubicon would have as big an impact as the 400ex on the ATV market.

I'm not a Honda owner, used to be (Foreman 400), but did'nt suit me. I like the auto tranny so went with Polaris. Sounds like Honda has finally decided to give the market what it wants. A bulletproof ATV that is fun and easy to ride and use. Damn them!