Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

01 450 Foreman shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 450 Foreman shifting problem

Hello, I have browsed these forums for quite a while, just registered as really need some assistance.

I have a 2001 450 Foreman with 3k miles I have had for a while, typically works very well. Just recently the electronic shift is giving me a problem. I jump on the 4 wheeler and everything works, shifts no problem, then it starts giving me shift problems randomly. Wont switch to any gear. Sometimes If i shut it off and restart it , it will work again for a few minutes going through all gears flawlessly, then all of a sudden, not working again. I can shift manually with a wrench, I took the electronic shifter off, cleaned everything, sprayed electronics cleaner on everything. Still same issue.

As I said, its not a constant problem, I can go start it up right now and it will work for x amount of time, anywhere from 5 minutes to 15 minutes, then electronic shifting just stops working.

Thank you for any help. If you have any ideas please include a diagram if you have one as I really dont know where anything is on the bike. I have done some minor maintenance on it but I do not know where all the parts are on it.

Thanks again.
jay

Old 02-16-2014, 03:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

There are two common faults, the electric motor driving the gearchange can get oily inside and/or brushes worn, or the angle sensor that tells the cpu that the gears have changed, can be faulty. The angle sensor is quite expensive but easy to fit and may be an instant cure, stripping the motor is a pig of a job, or at least getting it back together is, so which you go for is your choice. Both items stick out of the clutch housing on the left hand side of the front of the engine. The motor is obvious, but the angle sensor is a small black sender unit with three wires coming out just to the left of the motor.

If you do change the sensor, ensure you refit the O ring, and get the middle part engaged on the flat of the shaft sticking out of the gearbox before re-tightening the two allen screws.

Someone has posted a detailed account with pictures on how to strip a gearchange motor, on this forum.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. I cleaned a bunch of connections today amd ran my salamander undearneath it today to defrost everything. Now its shifting. Maybe something was frozen. Not sure. Where is the shift motor?. I searched but could not find it.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I don't know how better to describe where it is than on the front of the engine sticking out of the clutch housing, I've found the link to the pictures on dismantling the motor Gear Shifting Problems On Your Honda ES ATV? Here's The Fix Photo by chris50362 | Photobucket it is a 420 so the motor mount is a bit different to the 450.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
I don't know how better to describe where it is than on the front of the engine sticking out of the clutch housing, I've found the link to the pictures on dismantling the motor Gear Shifting Problems On Your Honda ES ATV? Here's The Fix Photo by chris50362 | Photobucket it is a 420 so the motor mount is a bit different to the 450.

Thanks.
Just wanted to post an update on this. The bike continued to have shifting problems. Sometimes it would shift, sometimes it would not. I would take it out and typically in 1-10 minutes it would stop shifting all together. This ended up being my solution.
I made a suicide shifter from the emergency shifter.
It took me 1 #12 socket, 1 ratchet , 1 piece 28 inch pipe, 1 bike grip.
Had to do a little cutting and welding. Works perfect now. This is probably not the best way to go but it definitely works well.
here is a pic of the shifter i made.
http://postimg.org/image/twztnfvon/

Old 03-11-2014, 09:16 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

How new is the battery? The E.S needs a healthy battery to work right.

I had a 2001 450 ES and it acted up like that and removing the fuses under the seat and cleaning them corrected it.

After that look into the angle sensor.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

thx for the info.
Battery is brand new. Purchased a couple weeks ago. Also I leave it on a float charger 24/7.
Pulled all the fuses and cleaned them multiple times.
At this point the shifter I made is working good so I guess that is how I shift from now on.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default total fix for your es

Originally Posted by -jay-
Hello, I have browsed these forums for quite a while, just registered as really need some assistance.

I have a 2001 450 Foreman with 3k miles I have had for a while, typically works very well. Just recently the electronic shift is giving me a problem. I jump on the 4 wheeler and everything works, shifts no problem, then it starts giving me shift problems randomly. Wont switch to any gear. Sometimes If i shut it off and restart it , it will work again for a few minutes going through all gears flawlessly, then all of a sudden, not working again. I can shift manually with a wrench, I took the electronic shifter off, cleaned everything, sprayed electronics cleaner on everything. Still same issue.

As I said, its not a constant problem, I can go start it up right now and it will work for x amount of time, anywhere from 5 minutes to 15 minutes, then electronic shifting just stops working.

Thank you for any help. If you have any ideas please include a diagram if you have one as I really dont know where anything is on the bike. I have done some minor maintenance on it but I do not know where all the parts are on it.

Thanks again.
jay

I had the same problem with my shifter and I found a solution on ebay of a bolt on foot shifter. It was a very inexpensive fix seeing that a local mechanic was going to charge me $1000 to fix. I decided to order the bolt on shifter on ebay and it came in the mail pretty quickly with directions for me to install. It was very simple and now my Honda is running great. Just look up Muddrman on ebay and the problem will be solved!

Old 06-26-2014, 01:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. The shifter I made worked great. Actually after winter ended and it warmed up the standard electronic shift works perfect. I guess it has something to do with the cold/snow so I will likely just use the shifter I made during plowing season.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

that long shift handle puts a lot of bouncing pressure on bottom seal and innards i bought the little foot shifter and use both if needed

Quick Reply: 01 450 Foreman shifting problem