Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Diagnosis? Honda Recon Rough in 3rd+

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosis? Honda Recon Rough in 3rd+

Any help would be appreciated.

My 2002 Honda Recon ES is having a problem when I'm trying to climb hills or drive at higher speed (gears). Runs fine at lower speeds (1st & 2nd) but engine struggles and sputters.

I'm trying to figure out if it is the carb or the spark plug or something else.

In the past I've removed the carb and found it all gummed up with old gas. Float was stuck and jets clogged. I removed it and cleaned it the best I could, but was unsure /uncomfortable with disassembling it too much. I tried to clean as many clogged holes as possible.

Bike starts right up and idles ok. I replaced air filter with new K&M. I did noticed that when idling, if I squeeze the hoses for the jets, then idle increases stronger. Not sure if that matters.

Also the engine runs fine while reving the RPMs. It does backfire at high rpms but runs unless actually in gear and 3rd gear or over.

Any ideas? I'm getting more comfortable with repairing the bike my self and plan to replace the plug and get a carb kit but was wondering if I was overlooking anything.

Thanks in advanced.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Range Rover

Well I have a friend that has the exact same model and he let his set for a while. And it started running rough at higher speeds and he just drove it and it cleared right up and ruins great now. Just thought I would tell you.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input JD. I think the issue is deeper as the engine really cuts out momentarily. After doing some research online, I think my issue is probably related to the carb still being gummed up, what wanted some confirmation since I'm not that versed in engine repair.

Has anyone used a carb rebuild kit and seen improvement? I also thought about picking up a spare carb so I have time to rebuild/clean the original at my leisure, while having the ATV operational too.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Range Rover

Just my 2 cents worth. If you can get one for a far price. I think it is a good idea to get a spare carb.