Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Bleeding fron brakes on Honda. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2001, 01:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.k. I have been without front brakes now for about 6 months. I have replaced the piston cups but I still seem to be introducing air into my lines somehow as I am getting almost no pressure. My master cylinder is good, so, can anyone help me here. This is driving me crazy. Could it be something as simple as replacing the compression fittings? Could I have a small "pin" hole in one of my lines allowing air in but no brake fluid out. Anyone with experience or solutions to my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-04-2001, 01:29 PM
CP
Trailblazer

As long as everything is tight and nothing is leaking it sounds like you never got the air out of the system to begin with. Try bleeding your brakes. If you have already done this try cracking the bleeder valve and pulling the brake lever a few times (with the valve still open) until you get a nice flow of fluid. After that do your typical brake bleed job until you have resistance in your brake lever.

Old 04-04-2001, 02:34 PM
87r
Range Rover

Go to Autozone or Pep Boys and get a brake bleeder (vacuum pump). It will take 1/10 as much time as the other method. Not that the other method doesn't work, but the pump makes it a no-brainer. I got mine for less than $25 and had the front brakes on my 250R bled in minutes.

Old 04-04-2001, 02:57 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I dont think I am actually having problems with the actual bleeding process, I am just having problems with air. I never get any pressure whatsoever on the brake lever itself. I can bleed the right side (no air) and then bleed the left side and when I check the pressure on the lever, there is none. I can then check the bleed valve again and low and behold I have air again where seconds before I didn't. They were bled no more than 6-8 times last night alone and I still have the same thing going on. What's up with that?

Old 04-04-2001, 05:21 PM
Range Rover

I had a similar problem with the Recon. It ended up being air in the system. I finally corrected it by a rather messy but cheap method. I removed the top of the master cylinder, filled it with fluid, put the top back on, open a bleed valve, hold in brake lever, close bleed valve, release lever, open valve, press lever, close valve and release lever again and again and again. I had to refill the master 3 times to push out all the air. The fluid should come out in a completly solid stream. I then readjusted the pads but only turned them out two clicks instead of three. The front brakes worked great after that. I just had to barely squeeze the lever and I could lock up the front wheels.