Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2008 Honda Foreman ES 500 shift up but not down

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Honda Foreman ES 500 shift up but not down

My Foreman will shift up all day but some days it just will not shift down unless I turn off the key and turn it back on. No flashes on the display, it try's to do like a half shift. But just will not shift down unless I turn off the key and turn it back on. I can turn the motor off with the red kill switch but I have too turn the key off then on to get it to shift down. What could it be?

Old 12-15-2014, 03:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 321 Likes on 314 Posts

Could be the down button not connecting properly, but it is surprising it doesn't fault code if it tries and fails to change. I would check the battery voltage with engine running, 12 to 14.5v is about right. If that's OK try shifting down by hand while rocking the bike gently backwards and forwards, if it doesn't change cleanly, you may have a mechanical problem. Next strip the shift motor to ensure it is OK. Details of how are on this site somewhere.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:49 AM
Range Rover

As far as it being mechanical, to me if I have to turn the computer off then back on for it to shift and not just the motor it would seem to be electrical. I have checked the battery while running and it is 12 - 14.5.
I am leaning towards the shift button not working correctly,as you said, the little rubber strip that goes around it is torn in a few spots. When it 1st did this it was drizzling and has been getting worse ever sense.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:05 AM
Range Rover

Would anybody know how to check the shift button? Before I shell out $75 bucks for a new one?

Old 12-18-2014, 03:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I can't weigh up why it does not fault code if it refuses to change until you switch off and on again. The normal failure of an up or down button is for nothing to happen. As the switch didn't contact, the computer doesn't know you have tried to change gear. When they first start acting up they sometimes change after a second or two, or if you move your finger, or press again.

In theory, after you remove the back of the unit, you could check the back of the button for continuity when pressed, but I don't know how useful this test will be.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:52 AM
Range Rover

Last night I needed to move it and it was is 2nd gear and I needed it to go in reverse. I was in a hurry, and it would not shift down for nothing. So I got my shifting tool out from under the seat and shifted it down to 1st. And immediately it started flashing -- and then it would flash the gear I was in 3 times. Then I needed to shift back into 1st but it would not, it usually shifts up all the time but this time it wouldn't. So I killed it and started it back up and no flashing occurs now, and it shifts up. So today I went out again and started it up and it shifted fine for about 15 mins now it won't hardly shift down again.
When I 1st got this bike, it took me awhile to get used to the shift button because I was used to my friends bike where you just barley hit the button and it shifts, but this one you got to hit the button harder to get it to shift. And it has a slower shift.

Don't know if this amounts to anything but I fingered would tell you this. . .

Old 12-19-2014, 04:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider

When you shift manually it does start flashing a fault code as the computer detects it going into another gear without the motor's assistance.

I would clean out the shift motor, it probably is OK but slow shifts are often oil in the motor or worn brushes and it will only cost you time to check. There is a visual guide to cleaning it somewhere on this site.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:17 AM
Range Rover

Okay, now it blinks 3 times and won't shift if I am like in 3rd or 4th and have got about 3/4 throttle then try to shift up and it won't shift but gives me 3 blinks ( it wont even try to shift). I have to kill it and restart it and then it doesn't do that again unless reb it up to about 3/4 throttle, but it still will do only half shifts, it has gotten to where it won't hardly shift down for anything. I am hitting the button as fast as I can for 20 or so times until it finally shifts down. So do I need to clean the angle sensor or???

Old 01-06-2015, 03:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider

You can't do much with the angle sensor as it is a sealed unit. 3 blinks indicates that this is at fault. Our (UK) pattern parts supplier has just started to sell non genuine sensors for £20, they deal with Arrowhead in the US so you may be able to get a new sensor from them. Don't know how good they are, their starters are poor quality but the voltage regulators have been OK.