Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX or RAPTOR? getting new quad THIS WEEKEND

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2001, 11:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you guys, I'm not too sure what to get, the Honda 400EX or the Raptor... Can you guys give me the ups and down of the 400EX? As far as I know the Raptor has some transmission problems? but what can you expect from a new quad, but I don't know. I just turned 16 and for my Birthday I can get a ATV, and no, I'm not a spoiled little brat. Is the EX pretty quick? what's the top speed? And is it reliable? well, hope you guys can answer my questions because this week-end I'll have a new thumper...

Old 04-05-2001, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

I was faced with the same decision 3 weeks ago. I picked a 400ex just because it suits my style of riding just as it is. I like to climb hills, race on tracks, and trail ride. The raptor has more power and is quicker but i would want a wider axle, longer swingarm, and possibly longer a-arms. Its a tough choice, I am happy with what i have but a raptor is tempting.

Old 04-05-2001, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

You will be very disapointed if you buy the 400ex then ride someone else Raptor. This bik eis awesome, so is the ex but not on sma elevel as Raptor.

Old 04-06-2001, 02:07 AM
Range Rover

The Raptor is nice. The 400EX is better tho, it has good Honda quality, great suspension and great power. The Raptor only has reverse (easy to get along without) and about 6mph top speed over the 400. The gears are the same until the top of 3rd then the Raptor pulls away. Strike a deal with your parents. The money you save on Raptor put into a 400EX. Bigger piston, new pipe, whatever else you want.
just my 2 bits
P.S. Ask the yamaha forum what they say.

Old 04-06-2001, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

I'll tell you this... I raced my hopped up 400ex against a stock Raptor-... and it KILLED me. It was like I was standing still-....

However, nothing rides like a 400ex. That's why it keeps winning all the magazines Rider's Choice awards. It has the best suspension, handling, and comfort. You can always sink money in the engine and make it faster than a raptor, but you can't make a raptor more comfortable and a better handler. ....but the Raptor is a MEAN machine.

Also- think of this...

You'll probibly want to pipe it, K&N airfilter, sprocket, Helmet, boots... etc-
You can get all these extra's if you buy the 400ex- for the extra money you would spend on a Raptor.

...at least that's my humble opinion.

Old 04-07-2001, 04:09 PM
Trailblazer

I had to make the same decision 6 months ago,... 2001 yellow 400EX or and 660 raptor...i the 400EX simply for the fact it had everything over the raptor except for top speed and reverse... im 16 i dontneed reverse, i can get off my ***.. but for top speed the raptor is much faster, but the 400EX has much more torque..better handling, suspension, wider.. and feels more comfy.. one of my best friend has a raptor.. i ride it all th
e time..i like mine much better...it up to you tho... ohh and his carbs blow offf allthe timme too... wayto many problems... and ull say, wellfirst year.. look the 400 didnt change at all....and it is still awsome.. goodluck..

01 YeLlOw 400EX Duncan racing double barrel full chrome exhaust, AC racing mudscreen bumper, DG Baja belly plate.

Old 04-07-2001, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

I think it all comes down to what you want.
If you are into trail riding you might want a 400ex, if you are into racing you may want a raptor.
If i had the cash to buy one or the other i'd buy a 250R.....LOL
The raptor is one nice machine but nobody really knows how it will stand up in the long run yet since it practically just came out. How durable is the motor/tranny? I dont really know.
The 400ex handles great but its hard to run with a raptor and according to some of the raptor owners with just a few mods the raptor REALLY opens up. Just think how fast it will be with heavy mods.
Put it this way....its up to you....think of which one you would like the most and what kind of riding you'll be doing and get the one that meets your needs and dont look back.
Just remember that if you get a 400ex you can always get motor mods that will make it faster to compete with a raptor and if you get a raptor you can always buy a set of shocks/a-arms and it'll handle like a pro.

Trending Topics

Old 04-08-2001, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

the 400EX is a great bike. i ride one almost everyday and it is awesome. very quick (not as fast as my LT though) really fun,great suspension and steering. but i would get the raptor. it is just so sweeeeet lookin. plus its a lot faster. yes, i have rode a raptor. i've ridden one a few times in fact. their really fun too. really fast. either one you get you'll have a ton of fun. i say get the raptor. you won't be disapointed withg a 400EX though either.

Old 04-08-2001, 02:12 PM
Trailblazer

i just wonder what you have been riding before you decided to get one of these.

Old 04-08-2001, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

RotGutBottom,
Your statement

<I'll tell you this... I raced my hopped up 400ex against a stock Raptor-... and it KILLED me. It was like I was standing still-....>

That statement is a joke and does not give the 400ex the credit it deserves. Through the first 3 1/2 gears you should have been dead even, and then, and, only then, the Raptor would pull ahead. If he "KILLED" you the way you say, you need some seat time, because your riding skills must suck!

Quick Reply: 400EX or RAPTOR? getting new quad THIS WEEKEND