Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

TRX350EF Electronic shift issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more thing. I read your earlier post. I don't know if it makes a difference what oil you use in a quad engine, but I know sportbikes use special oil because the additives, maybe zinc, keep the wetclutch working properly. Again I don't know what your owners manual says about it but thought Id throw it out there. And yeah I don't think oil type would make a difference for testing but I am not entirely sure. Good luck

Old 12-05-2015, 02:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 306 Likes on 300 Posts

I have done lots of centrifugal clutches, they work fine until the shoes wear down to the metal backing, then they slip. You will have to take the cover off again to check this, so check the other clutch again if the centrifugal is OK. I'm doing a 400 auto at the moment, the Honda dealer quoted 15th Feb for new shoes to come!

I go for backing the adjuster off after you feel a slight resistance, the difference between this and really tight is only about 1/4 turn anyway.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Trailblazer

So I took it apart again and inspected everything per the service manual. The only thing I see that is out of spec are the springs themselves. They are measuring at 1.06 in. the spec for the FE model is 1.16 in. Could this be my problem? Does .1 in. make that much of a difference?

Old 12-09-2015, 03:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Fit new springs anyway, as they are out of spec. Roughen the plates with a light sanding, using emery cloth. Do the same to the faces of the centrifugal shoes and drum. I had a Kawasaki that slipped, with clutch plates that were within spec, and was advised to do this, it worked fine afterwards. However your's is so bad I think something must be out, either notches in the clutch basket, warped plates (though this is more likely to cause drag than slip) or problems with the lifting mechanism.

Just a thought, the shift motor/gearbox isn't partly seized is it? If so, it could work with power to it but not spring back to centre after changing gear. Easily checked during re-assembly as you could leave the gearbox off and change manually. If everything then works, re-fit the shift gearbox and motor, then check again.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:45 AM
Trailblazer

I ordered a new clutch pack and springs, the new springs were considerably longer that the one that were in it, so this may be the issue. My current issue now is that I cant get the front cover on, the centrifugal clutch shaft is hitting the bearing in the cover and wont go on. I have had it off and on several times now and never had this issue. Nothing has changed. Any ideas how to persuade this to go on?

Old 12-11-2015, 02:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Check the shaft for damage, it only needs a slight burr to stop the end of the crankshaft going into that bearing.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:48 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the tips guys. She runs almost perfectly now. Put in OEM Clutch Pack and OEM Springs. It creeps very slight when engaged but it is 100% better. As far as the cover goes, I tried to deburr the end of the shaft but it still wouldn't go. In my frustration I lined everything up and tightened the bolts up equally and it slid itself on. It didn't feel like it was binding and the engine turned over just fine, so I think it is good. Now just keeping my fingers crossed there are no oil drips. Thanks again!