Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 Starter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 09:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 Starter replacement

Ok so I read the threads about removing the starter and it was a pain. But I couldn't find any pictures. First things first, disconnect the positive cable from the battery. Next, stand the quad up on its rear tires. If you haven't done it already, the first thing to do is cut the foot pegs...I just posted a little thread on doing this. Do that first and it will make the job easier.

You need to remove the two 8mm bolts that run through the case which are holding the starter in place. After removing the two bolts through the side case to release the starter I noticed it was hard and almost impossible to remove the starter because it was a tight fit. So you also needed to remove the bolts holding the motor to the frame. (see in the picture below) Not sure if you have to remove both of them but I pulled them half way out to allow me to use a crowbar to allow space to slide starter out. I disconnected the wire going to the starter as well before I started. I used a crowbar from the side with the rear brake and wedged it between the motor and the frame (just below the starter and pushed the crowbar away from me...I also put my left leg over the rear tire and used it as leverage so the quad didn't roll away from me.

The starter had to go down and then the front came out first.

To install it, just do the opposite. Hope this helps.