Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1999 300ex timing problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 08:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 300ex timing problem.

So a while back I bought a new starter for my 300ex and accidentally turned the little cam gear or whatever it is that the starter gear connects with. Pretty sure this threw off the timing because it has a lot of trouble starting and when it does start it runs really rough and then dies. Somebody help me out here how do I put it back into time without tearing it apart?

Old 11-21-2015, 09:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without going into the schematics, I am having a tough time believing that what you describe would alter the timing in any way. The starter gear just needs to mesh. Even if you turn the gear on the motor, you are essentially doing exactly what the starter does anyway. Perhaps someone more in the know will chime in, but I believe you have other issues. Possibly even timing issues, but not from a starter install.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

From what you described in post the timing cannot change by just removing the starter idler gear.Like mention by Scooter86 you must have had 2 issues...why did you have to replace starter? Did engine turn over good before starter replacement?Tell us here alittle more history on this atv please..

Old 11-23-2015, 09:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Okay well i replaced the original starter because after I would crank the bike, the starter would continue to run and it eventually ruined it. After I got the new starter it would crank after a few tries pretty easily. I went away for college for a few months, came back and now it's almost impossible to even jump it off. The only way it will crank is for me to bypass the solenoid with a screw driver and press the throttle as I do. It will fire up big time, run rough, and then die unless I keep pressing the throttle. I've gone through all of the electrical, there's a good spark. New battery, new starter, new controls. Still can't figure it out

Old 11-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally Posted by MicahMan300ex
I went away for college for a few months, came back and now it's almost impossible to even jump it off.
Did you leave untreated gas in the carb and gas tank? Have you tried cleaning the Jets and float bowl, mostly the pilot? Are you bypassing the solenoid on the new starter?

Old 11-23-2015, 02:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes it was just normal gas no treatment. Think it probably went bad in the carb? I have drained the tank and put new gas in recently but haven't tinkered with the carb too much. Tried taking some screws out to take a look but the metal was so soft that most of them are just stripping out

Old 11-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

Starter doesnt run by itself......Your atv has an starter solenoid and starter clutch { one way bearing} thats mount to flywheel..Like was mention by scooter carb got junkie setting around,,,,if starter ran all the time it could be solenoid stuck or the one way bearing in stater clutch isnt free wheeling in one direction.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider
Old 11-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

Look at photo#1 and #2 these are the 2 parts I mentioned in my post above

Old 11-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Drain the carb, there should be a 17mm "bolt" on the bottom of the carb for that. You will also be able to remove the Jets to clean them at this point. Some time in the future, you may need to remove the carb so you can get at those bowl screws and replace them. Fresh gas and maybe a fresh plug too, see of that helps.

I am also confused, are you still having issues with the starter?

Quick Reply: 1999 300ex timing problem.