Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need info an the ATC 250 R

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-1999, 05:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im really interested in buying an ATC 250 R. Now i want to know what you guys think of them. With an extended swingarm and either a new, wider axle or axle extenders can they corner better, or help keep the machine from tipping over? It wont be much mnore than a dune machine, so Im not "Too" worried cornering, but i do want to make it a bit safer. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,

RoostKing

Old 09-17-1999, 11:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

86atc250R,
Thanks for the reply, I was not even aware that Honda made an 86 model! Do you have any hints on specific areas I should look at when looking at an ATC? I will probably stick with the 85-86 model. Thanks for your help.

Ride hard,
RoostKing...

Old 09-17-1999, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

If your are talking about an '85 or '86 model, they are great bikes (I can't speak for the pre '85 models, they were much different). The '86 had a few suspension and design changes that made it a little better than an '85, but essentially they are the same. A wider axle is a very good investment. The machine is fine as it sits, but unless you are doing some tight woods riding the extended axle has no disadvantages. I have a Durablue X-33 hollow axle on mine and love it, and have had extended axles on 2 of my other bikes.

Cornering isn't a problem if you respect the machine and use descent riding skills, the 3-wheeler demands more body english than a quad, and will actually make you a better rider in time.

I have never had one with an extended swingarm, at times I wish I had one, a lot of times landing jumps in 4th gear when you get into the throttle the front aims at the sky and you have to back out of it.

Overall they are very fun bikes to ride, especially when modified a little....

Gabe
'86ATC250R
'86ATC350X
'00TRX400EX

Old 09-18-1999, 11:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Guys,
Thanks for the tips, I am in the market for an ATC 250 R FOR SURE. I will be looking around this area for a couple of months. I happen to believe the 250 R are the baddest looking ATV's ever created whether 3 or 4 (or 6) wheels. I do think that I will extend the swing arm a few inches at least. I rode a buddies Tecate -3 the other day. WHile riding I hit a bump and hit the throttle, I was not expecting the machine to come backwards so fast!. I did not go over, but it did teach me a lesson, "Dont jump on a Three wheeler and think you know how to ride it, if you dont!" I will respect the ATC for sure. Again thanks for the advice, now to find my machine and dust some banshees, low buck style!.

RoostKing...

Old 09-18-1999, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

I have had mine since '93, it has been an excellent bike. As far as I know there are no problem areas with the bike. The only real problem I have had is rear bearings, the axle bearings are a problem on just about everything, I replaced mine with a tapered roller bearing carrier, I love it, much better than the ball bearing or double roller setup, one bad point though, you lose some chain adjustment... My other problem is my swingarm has cracked around the 2 bolts that clamp down on the axle bearing carrier, allowing the chain adjustment to change, I am going to have to get it welded or replaced. I have also replaced the swingarm roller bearings, not too bad of a job as long as you can get the bolt out...

Try to find an '86 if you can, and anything before an '85 is a different beast. There were a lot of little changes that were made to the '86 model after the '85 introduction:

Different, better looking headlight.

Better looking graphics, and ATC on the seat vs 250R for the '85

Redesigned rear bearing carrier, sprocket, and rear brake mounting

Revalved and refined rear suspension

Better Enkie (yes, that Enkie) wheels

Better 34mm flatslide carburator and air cleaner setup

Prettier "gun metal metallic" engine paint vs black on the '85

Redesigned kickstarter idler gear and bearings & clutch mods also

refinements to some of the handlebar controls and mounting

Spring changes and refinements in the front forks

Refinements to rear fender mounting and exhaust mounting

Changes to the CDI

That's about all I can think of... Also, check the reeds after you get one. The stock ones are metal, you may be able to get a little performance by changing them, but the big thing is, if a metal reed breaks off, you've lost an engine... Also a pipe really wakes the motor up..

Gabe
'86ATC250R
'86ATC350X
'00TRX400EX

Old 09-19-1999, 02:56 PM
Trailblazer

As far as handeling goes for an atc they are not really that easy to tip but you have to watch it. I think you should get a wider axle and 1" inverted rims. My aunt has an 85 and it halls ***. It smokes my grandpas trx 250R and it is stock. 85 250R is a good bike but 86 is a little bit better. I would take any one.