Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher 420 Problems with gears shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher 420 Problems with gears shifting

I recently purchased a new shift motor for my Rancher 420 ES and lately, it hasn't been shifting into to the next gear correctly. For example, I was riding earlier and when I went to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear, it feels like it doesn't quite completely shift into 3rd. But when I make a sharp turn, it then "jumps" into the next gear which is what happened with the last shift motor and the bike would sound normal in 4th and 5th gears (which now it sounds like its overrevving). I have taken off the shift motor plate and cleaned and greased all of the gears behind the plate. Is it the clutch or is it something else I am not thinking of. Some solutions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 03-07-2017, 02:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 305 Likes on 299 Posts

If you imagine the motor moving a foot lever (which is in effect what it does) the angle sensor detects the "lever" has gone as far as it needs to change gear, and switches the motor off. The lever then springs back to centre, having changed. On odd occasions you get the selectors in between gears as the dogs haven't quite meshed, you then get a -- signal on the speedo instead of a gear number, as soon as the gears mesh, this changes to whatever gear is selected. When the bike is moving the gears mesh almost instantly so I think you have a selector or gearbox problem rather than an ES one.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks merryman, sounds like a problem that I unfortunately have to deal with or else the whole bike won't be able to work soon. I find it interesting after changing to a fresh shift motor, the gearbox starts to act up. I think if I were to revert back to my old shift motor then the problem might resolve. Do you think I should try doing that?

I also have one more thing to ask: would having too much oil in the bike contribute to this problem I am having? I recently changed my oil and filter and accidentally filled the bike with a little too much oil. I then read up on "filling an engine with too much oil" and some say if there is too much oil, it could hurt it but others say it is good to have extra oil.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 305 Likes on 299 Posts

The "overrevving" in 4th and 5th may indicate your clutch needs adjusting. I would do this before anything else.

A little extra oil won't harm but a lot of extra oil can result in parts that are supposed to just get a splash, being submerged and acting up.

I can't see how changing a shift motor would alter things.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

*wipes sweat off forehead*
I was leaning towards the clutch needing to be adjusted. I just wasn't quite sure what started this new problem. With the current generation of bikes having so much electronic equipment on them, you just don't what is causing the problem. Thanks merryman. I will adjust the clutch tomorrow and will post the results.