Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex help please!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex help please!!!!!!!

I have a 2002 400ex that I just put new rings and gaskets in. After putting it back together I hear a ticking noise and then I thought, tensioner, so I adjusted it and the ticking got quieter. But I randomly checked my oil and it has shavings in it. So, long story short, I have a 400ex with a tick and metal shavings... any help would be much appreciated

Old 03-26-2017, 09:44 AM
Trailblazer

Description tends to point at the cam chain tensioner, could pull the tensioner out and check for wear/damage.

but...

Piston index mark installed facing front as required?

Old 03-27-2017, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

No wear but I doesn't look right to me from images online. Looking at the side the is in the engine, there is the 'O' with a rod I guess that has a smooth end on it okay, but in the 'O' it looks like there should be a cap with a spring or something in it. I really hope that makes sense. And the arrow on the piston is point towards the front, yes. I am going to order a new tensioner and see how that goes, hopefully I won't have a tick afterwards. As for the shavings I am not seeing them now or at all for that matter, my brother said he did but I think he is just blind so I think I am good on that part.