Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher 420 will not go into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher 420 will not go into reverse

On Friday, I was using my Rancher 420 to aerate our yard and it was working perfectly normal. Yesterday I decided to take it out to clean both front and rear gear cases since it has been quite some time since they have been cleaned and when I pressed the down shift button to go into reverse, all I got was what sounded like the gears trying to change. It is the same sound every time I press the down shift button. It switches through all 5 of the gears like it is supposed to while just riding it but it will not down shift into reverse. Anyone know of a possible solution?

Old 04-10-2017, 02:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

The cable to the lock-out may need adjusting, particularly if you have set the handbrake adjuster a bit tight. Or you may have jammed something against the lock-out lever at the bottom rear of the gearbox.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi merryman, sorry that I haven't responded in a while. I fixed the reverse issue. I adjusted the reverse cable and then fiddled around with the shift motor. That issue was resolved but then another appeared today while I was riding. About 30 mins into just cruising around, the bike started to "surge", almost like the bike had a carburetor. Restarting the bike would help this but it then started happened again a few minutes after restarting it. I'm leaning more towards the fuel filter being clogged but other ATV forums say it could be various things causing this like an air intake leak, timing and a faulty spark plug. Whats your take on this?

Old 04-12-2017, 01:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Fit a new fuel filter and see if that fixes it.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok. I will take apart the fuel pump later and get back to you as soon as I can.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

One thing I forgot to ask, will it hurt if I take out the filter that is at the bottom of the fuel pump and put in an in-line filter cause if it doesn't, I would just do that since I will be able to see when the filter needs to be changed instead of taking the fuel pump off every time.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Leave the one on the filter. The fuel needs to be filtered before the pump or dirt will seize the pump. If you have a pre 14 model you can put an in line filter between the tank and the pump, so it should take any dirt out before it gets to the "tea bag". If you have a new model, the filter would need to be in the high pressure line, and after the "tea bag" so a waste of time.