Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Recon .... Torn Down..

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well .. I finally decided to get a new clutch for my recon. Thinking that it was just the Fiber plates.. No bigger I thought. Too my surprisement the plates were ok. To get the plates off. You have to take the Centrifical Clutch out. Well I thought that would be fine. HECK NO .. I turned it and it goes CLUNK.. hmm.. thats not right.. So i take that apart... HOLY HELL! the weights or whatever they are.. totaly bum-f**ked it sucks. 117 dollars in new parts in the Centrifical clutch .. thats not including the 50 bucks for the plates and like 15 for the steel plates that go between.. those were fine before .. but i decided to get new ones anyways.. I also put new bearing and seals in the rear axle. so .. my bill is about 300 bucks. That sucks a big one. So .. if anyone wants to ask me any question about bearings any were on a Recon .. or clutch questions.. I know what to say or tell you how to get them out. That thing has had such a hard life .. lol .. Thats a honda for ya .. lol.. the funny thing.. its a 98 .. lol

Old 04-18-2001, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Alright I guess you know what my question is going to be because you told me to ask it.
How did you get the rear bearings out without messing everything up????

1998 Honda Recon, Sur Tracks on ITP aluminum, Uni air filter, shockwears

Old 04-18-2001, 05:09 PM
Range Rover

I've got to replace the rear axel on our Recon. What advice do you have about problem areas? Also does the rear brake need to be opened or will the axel slide out without taking the brake apart?

Old 04-18-2001, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

I had the same problem (the c-clutch) with my Recon a few months back.

Old 04-18-2001, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

Hondapride,
It is esay changing the bearings. All you do is 1) Take the wheels off
2) Take the hubs off
3) I found it easy to take the brake thing off, you kinda have to anyways.
4) take off the Axle nuts.. Large Pipe/Monkey Wrench works great.
5) Take off the differential. It is goign to leak the Gear oil. Probably should drain it first. There is going to be four Bolts on the front of the differential and 4 on the side. They are 12 mm I am pretty sure.
6)its a b*tch taking out the axle sometimes. IT is a real pain in the *** to get the seal out sometimes. then the fun part, gettin the bearing out.. all I did was got a extremly large socket and extension put it in it.. the took a hammer pounded them out.. (theres gonna ba snap ring to take out on the right hand side.. HAVE to take that out.) They usually pop right out. then to put the new ones in .. get something that wont mess up the rubber on the new bearings, you will know what im talking abuo when you see them, put some grease or something in the housing,pound them in as far as possible. Put in a new Snap ring,new seals, put the differential on .. slide the axle in .. put everyting back together ... boom its done. It takes me like a hour or 2 to get it all done..

Ursus,

The axle is really no problem.. If you read what i put down to Hondapride.. you should have a problem.. I had to replace the axle on my recon.. due to a accident. It should be rather simple for you.

Everyone is welcome to ask any question. You guys are welcome. Amazing what a 15 year old knows. lol

Old 04-19-2001, 07:44 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info on the axel. Hopefully it will go smoothly

Old 04-19-2001, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah Thanks a lot buddy!!!
Good info here

Amazing what a 17 year old does not know lol

1998 Honda Recon, Sur Tracks on ITP aluminum, Uni air filter, Shockwears.
1986 Yamaha Moto-4 225cc, Stock, Only new part on it is a starter and air filter. The family has owned this Atv since new and it has never broken down except when we had to put a new starter on it.
www.geocities.com/hondapride_98

Old 04-19-2001, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not trying to be a wise guy, but what are you doing to these bikes that's causing bent axles and such?

Old 04-19-2001, 11:03 PM
Range Rover

Well.......I ask alot of the little Recon, and somtimes I ask a bit too much. I am rather large for the Recon (thats one of the reasons I now have a Rancher) at 250 lbs, and the laws of physics and gravity play havoc with my riding.
I tried to go up a hill that I had gone up several times before at the Badlands in Attica IN. The ground was frozen so traction was hard to come by (this was with the stock tires). Almost at the top the back wheels started to spin so I leaned back just a little bit. Just as I started to lean back the left rear tire fell into a rut and the tire caught traction. This combined with my large size caused the front end of the quad to point skyward. This of course caused me to promptly fall off the back. Somehow I landed on my stomach against a big rock. Now normally when I fall off the ATV I land on my back and can kick my feet up to either catch the falling quad or atleast push it onto its side. But since I was on my stomach I could do nothing except feel the quad bounce off of me (which tore a bit of my rotator cuff). I then had a nice view as the quad fliped end over end and landed on one wheel very hard. I think that is how the axel bent. I'm sure thats how the front rack, rear rack, front carry pipe and plastic got mangled, but I'm not sure if the fall bent the axel, or just the weight of myself and the rest of the quad being on the one wheel when it fell in the rut

Old 04-19-2001, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, the stuff we do for fun. Thankfully, it seems like bike and rider were (are) repairable.
Let us know how the axle project goes.