Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

some new (i hope) ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 04:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. rm250 engine in kawasaki mojave frame.
2. banshee engine in a dirtbike.
3. four stroke bottom end, two stroke top end.
4. propane injection system(works in trucks,i.e. more power, better milage, cleaner exhaust. no negative side effects)
5. completely titanium engine.
6. completely titanium frame and bearings.
7. six-valve engine.
8. gas turbine powered quad.(AT LEAST 40,000RPM)
9. special tires that have retractable lugs or even paddles used only when the riding requires it.
10. Quad with adjustable ride heighth like some lowriders have.(I HATE LOWRIDERS).
11. a quad with IRS, 4wd and a hydralic motor at each wheel. it would be the same kind of transmission set-up the rubicon has. You don't have to worry about all the grease zerks. less to break.
I will have more ideas later. tell me what you think of my ideas.

Old 04-19-2001, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

1. I think it's been done already, i'm pretty sure thats what they had in dirtwheels a few months back. It was a prototype from kawi
2. sounds cool
3. There was a discussion on this forum about that not too far back, sounds pretty cool
4. That only works with diesal motors, not gas motors
5. and 6. Ouch! lotsa money
7. I think you'd be better off with bigger valves in a two or four valve design because the more valves you have the more power it takes away from the motor (more stuff to move/spin). Sure the 6 valves will make more power because of the extra air/fuel it adds to the cylinder but it also adds alot of weight and resistance to the motor which would negate any power it made in the first place. Stick with two BIG valves and i think you'll be better off
8. I'm not sure if it was a gas turbine or a regular jet engine but i have seen this somewhere on the web...it was made for land speed record runs.
11. how about a sport quad with irs? I wonder if its been done before? I wonder if it would just add weight without any actual benefits.

Old 04-19-2001, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

yes there was a guy that made an LT250 with IRS. the subject has been coming up a lot around here lately.

Old 04-20-2001, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

1. It ha surely already been done...although my vote for a 250cc dirtbike engine doesn't go to the RM

2. That's one GOOD idea!!!

3. tons of work, but something similar has been done. a 2 stroke top end with no crankcase "transitory" zone, all the air is compressed with a blower directly in the cylinder. admission is regulated by rotary valve. it features direct injection, and I don't remember what.

4. ?

5. not tough enough

6. idem (some enduro dirbike riders refuse to have titanium parts because it has happened that they loose the rear part (saddle, rear fender, silencer, airbox) and finish the race standing up. once, but not twice. hehe.

7. Yamaha has 5, and it covrs pretty much the whole surface (the YZF 1000 has a wonderful head).
Bugatti went with 5 (on a V12, 3.5L, 4 KKK turbos...611hp), Ferrari has 5, Audi also. But Honda had 8 per cylinder on the mythical NR 750. V4, 750cc, 8 valves per cylinder. No one was allowed to do routine maintenance except Honda in Japan (just to illustrate the rareness and precision of this engine). It had oval pistons, and has been thought more like a V8 than V4. Anyways...8, anyone better ?

8. Some european drag racer has a turbine powered shee. He can hardly hang on...and he sits on the engine. No frame...just 4 wheels, and an engine between. fun.

9. hehe.

10. Just add an air compressor and air shocks...and you have it!

11. Forget hydraulics. It's soooooooo complicated, and I'm not even talking about leaks. Electrical is slow, but the easy solution....has anyone thought of a wheel/motor, with hub/spindle as stator, and rim as rotor, everything held in place by electromagnetism? sounds killer to me