Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Looking to buy a Honda

Old 08-11-2017, 06:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a Honda

Hi All,
I'm looking to buy a Honda ATV and I am torn between the Foreman, Rubicon, TRX.
I would like an ATV that would be good for yard work, like plowing my driveway, hauling wood and then going in the woods on occasion. Looking for something that will be good on gas milage and would last.. but not cost a fortune.
I noticed the TRX and Foreman is quite a bit cheaper than the Rubicon but I don't even know what the difference is...

Does one really need power steering and an automatic engine?

I am currently leaning on the Rubicon with Power Steering and etc..

I could save some money and buy this ATV.. (Its in Canadian Dollars) and I can probably haggle.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-atv/saint-jo...ationFlag=true

Old 08-11-2017, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Honda makes some nice equipment, they are not designed for speed but as a workhorse they are great. My only reservation is the electronic shift transmission. They have had issues with them after a few years and they are very expensive to fix. If your battery goes dead you can't shift at all, not even back into neutral so it can be pushed. In my area Honda's sell very well as long as they are not electric shift, those just sit. The 5 speed auto clutch machines are the most popular in my area as service is much cheaper if ever needed. Just some food for thought!!

Old 08-11-2017, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

Curious what a new one costs, I know the Canadian Loonie is kinda low right now. Regardless, you will like power steering! I thought it was for woosies, until I bought an ATV with it.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

A 420 may be best for you, though it's lighter weight makes traction worse when towing etc. It is slightly better on fuel, and cheaper to buy new. Power steering is optional, as is electric shift and auto. Don't know why anyone would charge less to service the more complex Rubicon, and personally wouldn't have one unless it was the same price as the manual shift version. The full auto is just an ES with a load of extra complexities added. IRS or swinging arm suspension is another thing to consider.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not sure if this is what you want to hear, but have you considered the Kawasaki Mule as a possible option? Nothing against being "brand conscious." However, based on what you plan on doing, the Mule may be a better fit.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I realize the Rubicon in the link is in CDN dollars but that's pretty close to the price of a new one here. You can buy a Rubicon with the foot shift auto clutch, I know someone locally who has one. Though for less money you can buy a Yamaha Kodiak base model with more power, more suspension travel and more ground clearance. I try not to limit myself to just one brand when buying, I look at all machines in the same price range. Not to knock Honda but in my opinion all their utility atvs are overpriced.