Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

New style honda Rubicon HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New style honda Rubicon HELP

Need a new 4 wheeler for work, wondering if anybody has experience with new Rubicons that came out a few years ago. Been running older models 2009 thru 2014 years. Typical they used hard 12-14 hours per day couple tanks of gas ran at top speed of 57-58 mph. Had no problems with them except self induced stupidity. Usually don't start to use oil and only a little around 14,000 miles (with 5 quarts of engine oil if burn 1/2 quart not a problem). DO an oil is changed and clean air filter every 600 miles. The corn stalks and other crop residue easy to clean out around the exhaust pipes. Others in my profession been using yamaha 550 but they tend to catch all the residue and start fires (talked to about 8 others and each has caught things on fire 2-3 times each).
The question will the new rubicons have same top end speed, durability, and not be a residue catch/fire making machine like the yamaha. Anybody have any thoughts. Or some other brand.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

To be quite honest, I guess how fire proof the new Rubicon is will only be found out by someone in your circumstances. I suspect it will sit a bit lower than a 550 Yam. The side plastics are not too difficult to get off once you are used to it, but I bet you break the plastic lugs off near the air box the first time you do it. You have to take the side plastics off to top up with oil on the 420 Auto, not sure about the 500. I do not like the manual with auto overide gearbox, the old CVT with manual overide seems a much smoother system, try one and see if you can live with it. The engine seems to be based on the manual and auto 420s and they are reliable enough. We are sort of doing a destruction test on a new model 420 manual, having sold one to a farmer who wrecked an old model 420 in three years, and so far (2 years) the new model is lasting much better. I suspect the new 500 will be slightly faster as the hydraulic CVT of the old one would sap more of the power.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input

Old 11-07-2017, 01:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

"so far (2 years) the new model is lasting much better."

I shouldn't tempt fate, today the "destruction test" 420 came in as a non runner, with dash lights flashing on and off at a rapid rate, quick check, and it is ticking from an electronic "box" above the throttle body, hopefully it is just a faulty relay.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 2017 rubicon 500 DCT.

I think I have around 800km on it now.

The transmission is really rough until you do the first oil change and get aboout 300km on it. Then it smooths out nicely. It shifts really close to when I would shift it if it was a manual.

I put it in manual mode when I tow, go through mud/skeg or when I want to be more engaged when I ride.

The tranny also has two auto modes. One is cruise and one is play/power. It is a noticeable difference. In play/power it holds the gears longer.

I have had no mechanical issues with mine whatso ever and I am not putting around the yard. It is used for work and when I play its in skeg/mud etc..

The reverse system is better than the old. I guess my one complaint is when I try to put it into reverse, sometimes you need to push the button a couple times.

Hi/low is nice. I wish the geared it lower though. I have 27inch tires on it and I will put a gear reducation kit on it eventually. Its fine as is, but I prefer more torque to high end.

When I bought it, I had the dealer put on the 27 inch mud tire. So I cant speak to its power/top end if the tires were stock or stock size. I'm guessing it would be much better.

The headlight in the handle bars is a really nice addition.

I don't find it runs hot at all. I have driven 500 cc CVT atv's before and the honda runs cooler. I'm not sure how hot the muffler area gets though, never noticed.

Suspension is easily the nicest I have ridden. I test drove the 2017 yammaha. After the test drive I didn't even look at it again. The front end dives so much when you turn. I didn't like the way the steering/handle bars set up is either. It just felt weird. And lastly, every yamaha I have ridden always needs to squat before it budges when you push the throttle. To me is a power robbing/crappy handling thing. You push the gas, the back end needs to sink down and compress the springs before the atv moves. Even with stiffening up the suspension all the way it still does this.