Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Who wears MX Boots when riding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2001, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey fella's...

Imagine there is a good handfull of people who wear the MX boots... but I would imagine it would make it a pain in the *** to shift. I wear regular hiking boots (flexible)- but my neighboor says, "Look at boots like a helmet- NEVER ride without them".

What do you-all think?

Old 04-21-2001, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Boots saved my kids bacon the other day. He landed bad off a jump and came off the footpeg. His foot went under the tire and would have been toast if he had been wearing anything but an MX boot.

Old 04-21-2001, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

....two words for you & you son...

NERF BARS

-glad he's ok. seriously though- nobody should jump or race without nerf bars.

Old 04-21-2001, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

I never ride withoutmy boots. Once you try them, you will not feel comfortable without them. Hiking boots are fine for some atv riding, but if you are going to get aggressive, the full protection of a MX boot is the only way to go.
Incidentally, I don't think that nerf bars will help you if your feet come off the pegs in all cases. In fact, a guy with nerf bars on his banshee hurt his leg very badly when his foot went between the bar and the footpeg. Nerf bars are only designed to keep quads from getting together when dicing it up on tracks.

Old 04-21-2001, 12:52 PM
Range Rover

Never, ever ride without MX boots. I have never had a problem shifting with them, but I have always worn them so I am used to it.

All you guys with electric start may not appreciate this - but I don't even kick start my quad without my MX boot on. I have a high compression 500cc 350X motor that is very, very, hard to kick over. I used to try and start it with my tennis shoes on when I just wanted to check something out. The kick is such a violent, full strength effort that I learned the hard way to always wear my boot to protect my ankle.

Old 04-21-2001, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

I wont ride without them! They protect your feet if you ever (even though you shoudnt) put your foot down on your quad to put it back on 4 wheels. Also when you jump and kick your quad over they give you excellent support and the shin guards are great for when the kickstarter snaps back up at you. I'll pay $200 for a pair of boots any day over a bunch of sparined ankles and bruised shins, not to menton holes in the bottom of my shoes.

Old 04-21-2001, 03:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I always wear mx boots. I am used to them because I also ride a dirt bike.Thet are absolutely a good thing. As far as shifting goes , I have no problems at all, of course the fact that I ride a rancher ES might have something to do with this.MX boots are a good thing.

Old 04-21-2001, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

I AM NEVER ON MY QUAD WITHOUT MY Tech 8s. They help on hard landings very well, and have so many other uses. They have saved my ankles many times. Oh yeah, they also help fatigue, in my opinion.

Old 04-21-2001, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

Unless I'm just putting around the yard I always wear my boots. And besides, nerf may save you from running over your foot but they won't keep you from breaking your ankle.

Old 04-22-2001, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

mx boots are much more rigid under the foot (so it doesn't hurt when you are standing up on the pegs)...and you don't need a high compression engine to hurt yourself kicking it earing standard shoes. Everytime I kick my shee with normal tennis, I say to myself (right after OUUUUCH) I'll never kick it again!
The only default is that they are not really waterproof...actually, my boots let water in, but don't let it get out...hu. They do protect your ankle and foot, but there are limits. My dad got a 4x bone break int he foot when riding dirtbike, and he was wearing boots...and I hurt my ankle several times. I can't compare the injury with and without sinceI always wear them

Quick Reply: Who wears MX Boots when riding?