Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

TRX 250 front brakes constantly rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 06:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX 250 front brakes constantly rubbing

08 TRX 250 front calipers. Just put new pads on last set didn't seem to last long. I've done it a few times in past but this time with the wheels off the ground i rotate the tires and they do not freely spin. However they spin great without the brakes attached just to see if it was a bearing.
Anyway, i've searched but just cant find a proper way to clean calipers, replace pads and not have it rub on discs. I've taken it for a ride a few times but still constant. shouldn't the piston go in and out when you pull the handle???

I did learn one thing from youtube, sometime in the past i threw away the small shim that is supposed to be on the inside pad. Could this be all the issue???? Now i have to look at my TRX700XX to see if i did the same thing.

Thank you fellas, I'm usually fixing my Polaris Sportsmans, not my Hondas.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I only work on TRX250s with drum brakes (Recon) but, no doubt yours are similar to 420s etc. The pistons can get sticky, in theory red rubber grease on the seal surfaces should cure this but means dismantling, so I usually go for just pressing the piston in, and pumping it back out, not so far it comes past the seal, then repeat until it moves easier. The sliders for the caliper also seize, more tricky as sometimes the whole thing is too corroded to free off, but remove the pads, re mount the caliper and knock it backwards and forwards along it's sliders. If there is a rubber blanking plug over one slider, remove it and stick some grease in the hole, then put the plug back in. If they stay sticky, remove the caliper from the sliders and emery the slider pins, re-grease and put back. The shims are anti-squeal and don't do much, so don't matter. The threaded pins that hold the pads also corrode. I always de-rust, and coat them with copper grease before fitting.