Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2012 reconES Shift issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 reconES Shift issue.

Seems to be stuck in 5th(light on) but no electric start, no neutral light.
full battery.
1st gear light flashes "failsafe relay" issue.
will that make it not shift, and stick in 5th?
TIA

Old 09-22-2018, 02:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Change down to neutral with the emergency lever. The bike will then start on the button. try changing up with the up button, if the dash just starts blinking code you have an electronics problem. If it changes up, but won't change back down, you may have a problem with the down button. If you can't change down by hand (it will be stiff) with the emergency lever, you have a mechanical problem with the selector mechanism.

No idea what the "failsafe relay" is, never come across a relay in ES wiring, but not had many problems with the 250ES gearchange mechanism.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
Change down to neutral with the emergency lever. The bike will then start on the button. try changing up with the up button, if the dash just starts blinking code you have an electronics problem. If it changes up, but won't change back down, you may have a problem with the down button. If you can't change down by hand (it will be stiff) with the emergency lever, you have a mechanical problem with the selector mechanism.

No idea what the "failsafe relay" is, never come across a relay in ES wiring, but not had many problems with the 250ES gearchange mechanism.
thank you very much for the reply.
i used the emergency lever to get it to neutral, and cycled up and down a couple times, it works fine. Cleaned all connections, and dielectric greased them. New battery, and checked ohm values of shift motor and angle sensor. Shift motor had open circuit, so i put brushes in it, and it's like new now. A friend says it shifts better than his now. Got lucky and found the brushes at a hardware store here.
I'll get a new shift motor when i can, in case these don't last.
reset codes, and it's all perfect.
thanks again.
tim

Old 09-29-2018, 02:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Glad to hear you fixed it, and have got back to us. My posts often don't get any reply unless my advice didn't fix the problem. At first, ES problems seemed to be mostly angle sensor, (particularly as Honda sent out a batch of faulty ones) but ES bikes are now getting to an age where the brushes wear out, so more motor faults are occurring.