Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1984 Big Red Wont Run

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Big Red Wont Run

Hi guys,

So I recently acquired a 1984 Honda ATC200ES Big Red. Got it for a pretty good deal as it had been sitting for a few years. Figured it's a Honda and you can't kill a Honda. Anyhow I get it home and I start going over all the basics.

New plug, checked spark, made great spark. Check the compression, about 160 on compression. Ok move to the carb. The carb had been gunky, so I took it all apart and clean it, the jets and everything then put it back together. Next I put new fuel line on it, although its fuel line was still in really good shape. Next I cleaned the petcock and filter on its tank. Now this bike had a plastic aftermarket tank on it when i got it, so no rust in the tank. Then i put it all back together.

Now being the bike had been sitting for a few years, I figured I would put a little bit of gas down the plug hole as I normally do with bikes that turn over and have been sitting for a few years to give the motor a little extra help starting back up. Now I sat around all day trying to get the motor to run and couldn't. I checked the fuses and they're good too..

The Big Red is in really good shape and has fairly good plastics and the motor actually looks really clean. Its shaft and the bearings are tights too. Even electric start "works" as it spins the motor...

ANY HELP or ideas on where to start to try and get this thing running would be greatly appreciated...

This is just one of the Hondas in my collection, but I'd really like to get her running rather than just selling her.

I refuse to believe it doesn't want to run being its showing all these good signs.
Before being washed

After being washed