Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda 400 ex or Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-1999, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's better for trail riding, Whats the top speed of the two machines, What one had the best off road chacteristics, Which is the better machine, and most important whats more reliable, and what have you had trouble with on your warrior or 400 EX?

Old 09-23-1999, 08:23 AM
mp
Weekend Warrior

I owned a new 98 warrior and had engine trouble at six months this machine is like diving a tank compared to my 99 400ex, the ex turns on a dime

Old 09-23-1999, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

Trail Riding = 400EX. Nothing can beat it in the woods.

The suspension is the best stock available today. acceleration, and faster in rough trails.

400EX is faster in top end and faster in acceleration. If you are comparing the two, get the 400EX. You won't be dissapointed.

Reliability? Honda all the way. Break it in properly, change the oil, clean the air filter.

When you get yours, up the main jet, and buy a Uni or K&N filter to get even better performance. Pretty cheap power increase.

RM

------------------
99 400EX 95 Scrambler 400 85 LT250R

[This message has been edited by rennym (edited 09-23-1999).]

Old 09-24-1999, 01:32 AM
Trailblazer

My friends stock warrior will do 60mph. Dirt wheeles last issue said the 400ex will do between 65 and 68 mph. But go for the ex. I have one and even my banshee riding friends say it is the funnest quad to ride.

------------------

Old 09-24-1999, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

What I want to know is: Why is everyone stuck on top speed????? Not just in this post, but every bike comparison post, that's what it seems to boil down to. It makes no sense, You can easily gear up a 300EX to outrun a 400EX on top speed, it may take quite a while to get there, but it can be done. There are many other factors to consider, top speed is pretty low on the priority list given how all the bikes are relatively close. How much time do you spend at TOP speed??? Maybe .5%, If your riding demands more time spent at top speed than that, shouldn't you really be in the market for a car or truck instead???

Shouldn't things like handling, acceleration, quality of construction, fun to ride factor, etc..., be much more important than a stupid top speed figure that no one can agree on anyway.

H3ll, a '70s model Ford Pinto will run upwards of 90+ MPH, maybe a person should consider purchasing one of them, it will be cheaper than a Warrior or 400EX as well.

Done venting....

Gabe
'86ATC250R
'86ATC350X
'00TRX400EX

[This message has been edited by 86atc250r (edited 09-24-1999).]

Old 09-24-1999, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

You hit the nail right on the head.

Chris "00" 300EX

Old 09-29-1999, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

There is nothing wrong with comparing the top speed of the machines. It is a factor in some peoples buying decisions. If you notice what the question asked, it included comparisons in top speed.

In my riding, every ride includes a road or two to either connect the riding area with the launch area, or other riding areas. I will admit that my brother's 85ATC250R is a little faster in the top end, and that ticks me off. However, I can feel good in the fact that I can smoke that machine in any kind of riding that involves any bumps or corners.

His is modified and mine only has a larger main jet and a Uni filter. The rest is bone stock. I still want to be able to beat that 15 year old machine in a straight away.

I agree that some of the top speed 'numbers' are flexible, and they should not be used as absolutes. Different terrain, tire pressure or make, wind, rider weight, exaggeration, all contribute to different measurements.

In my mind, there shouldn't be a question on which is better machine between a Warrior or an EX. The EX is a race capable (with mods) machine with excellent stock performance. Unless you are in the sand, (or muck) the EX is the sport machine to buy.

RM

------------------
99 400EX 95 Scrambler 400 85 LT250R

Old 09-29-1999, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

I wasn't implying that top speed shouldn't be considered at all and I do realize it was part of the question and I said that I wasn't just picking on this post, but given top speed's relative unimportance I don't know why it is given so much attention.

I was simply stating that it seems like every time someone starts comparing bikes, someone else spouts a top speed figure and then the pointless argument starts.

All of the top speed figures are flexible, there are way too many variables to put an absolute speed figure down.

If you want to surprise your brother sometime out on the road, put a larger front sprocket and smaller rear on your 400. You'll lose some acceleration, but you will nail him on top. It's that simple, if you are topped out on the road and acceleration is not a factor, a simple sprocket change will do the trick. The same can be done on a 300EX, gear down the 400EX and all the sudden, the 300 will absolutely run away from the 400. My point?? THE TOP SPEED <U>ARGUMENT</U> IS POINTLESS because for just a few dollars it can easily be changed.

Gearing is a give and take, manufactures set the bike up stock at what they felt was the best compromise, if you don't like what they decided was the best between acceleration and top speed, you simply change it to your liking. You also have to keep in mind that the manufacturers that went thru the consent decree and all the legal BS of the late 80's don't like high top speed figures, gets them in trouble with the CPSC.

You're right though, there is NO argument between which is the better machine on the 400EX and Warrior, that's like comparing a Corvette to a 6 cyl Mustang. Not that there's anything wrong with the 6 cyl Mustang (other than it's a Ford ), but it is built for a different purpose and isn't at all in the same performance league.

Gabe
'86ATC250R
'86ATC350X
'00TRX400EX

Old 10-07-1999, 07:08 PM
Trailblazer

This is the question for me. I bought a new 98 warrior last spring, and basically ripped it apart trying to keep up with the 400ex my friends have. I did alot of modifications to it including, 10:25/1 piston, webcam, racing carb, filter, jetting of course, tires, sprockets, Works shocks, etc.. and the best i got was to tie a stock 400ex. But the front is a lot heavier since the motor is located towards the front so if u want to pull a wheelie u better wear two sets of pants. Also the upper motor mounts, rear fender brackets, and front control arms all wore out in one year and the motor mounts were replaced three times, just from jumping it.
I got a 2000 400ex a couple weeks ago and can't believe i dumped all that money into my warrior, cause it never felt as agile as the honda does, and like i said before it barely kept up. I thought I'd miss reverse, but i don't. It feels much better trusting the machine your jumping than making a 3 point turn and worrying every time u went more than 4 ft in the air. check out my website.

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~umcpmark/index.htm

mark

Old 10-14-1999, 02:44 PM
Trailblazer

If you get a quad that already goes as fast on top end as you want to go you don't have to modify it to go faster. Like buying a 300ex then trying to make it as fast as a 400ex. In my opinion this one reason people want to know top end. Also I suppose it is an ego thing to say my quad will go x miles an hour. I don't see why, not just in this post but in others that when someone wants to know top speed of a quad that some people give him or her a hard time about wanting to know how fast a quad can go. I say if you know the top speed just tell them. Obviously it is something they want to know. Just my opinion.

------------------