Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Got a 250r saturday and got questions about liquid coming out of right case!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2001, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got a 88' R saturday. Havnt rode it yet because i am wiating for my rear caliper to come in. The quad is in good condition and all stock. Here is the question, there is some oil on my garage floor. it seems to be coming from the right side of the case a little bit under the oil fill cap thing. There is a philips head screw their that seems to be loose and letting oil out. So i tighted the screw and stock a white rag under to see if anymore comes. So what kind of oil is it coming out? Crank case? Should i put crankcase oil in now? What is the best brand of crank case oil?
And yes i have a owners manual coming in the mail, and yes again, its killing me not being able to ride it!
matt

Old 05-01-2001, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

Its your tranny/clutch oil, you should change it anyways being that you just bought it, you never know how long its been in there.. As for the type I'd go with honda-oil or yamalube, its only a couple bux a quart and you shouldnt need very much at all.

Go around that sucker and tighten everything and clean it up real good like, thats the best advice I can give..

Old 05-02-2001, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

For starters, there is no crankcase oil in a 2-stroke, the crank is lubed by the fuel/oil mix.
Below the filler cap is a 10mm hex head. When you fill your transmission/clutch with oil, remove this screw. When oil starts coming out of the hole, you have enough (well, actually, it's close). The manual says that it's full at that point, but you could add about 2 more ounces. Yeah, since you just got it, change the oil. I use Maxima in both my R's.
In the meantime, while waiting for your caliper, clean everything; tighten nuts/bolts, etc. Get it ready for riding. Dump the fuel, drain the carb, start with fresh stuff.
Also, you can check out this site dedicated to the R. . . http://pub20.ezboard.com/bhondatrx250r