Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2019 Honda Trx 420 Rancher hard shift--> SOLVED!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Honda Trx 420 Rancher hard shift--> SOLVED!

So I thought this might save someone else some BS that I just went through. I bought a 19 rancher with 460 miles. I noticed when test driving that the shifting was terrible but assumed I could fix it.
Brought the bike home and man alive the shiting was just crap. You had to bend the lever to make it shift. So did some reading online and most suggested that it might have the wrong oil in it (non MA oil for wet clutch). They also said to adjust clutch by turning screw out till hits and backing in 1/4 turn. Some suggested Honda gn4 or Honda hp4S oils as honda knows what its doing for their own clutches. Lastly others suggest using Rotella T6 (but some said rotella lost MA jaso rating) while others suggested amsoil either 10-40 or 0-40.

The guy I got it from originally said he used car oil in it but then changed his answer when I questioned that. So not sure what oil it had I went back to OEM GN4 oil as a starting point. No JOY! Next I went to adjusting clutch. This seemed to help about 50%. Rode it a couple days and still hated shifting.

Lastly I tracked down the amsoil 0-40. I drained the Honda GN4. Changed the new filter to a clean filter. Let all the GN$ drain out until the oil drain was done dripping. Closed everything up and filled with amsoil.

I let her warm up a bit and took it for a ride. Once I had gone through the gears a couple times the shifting became like butter smooth. I drove around going up and down gears. Stopping using reverse and neutral. The back from neutral to first and back to neutral. Those were the worst before I started and now they are smooth as can be.

So lastly the shifter sits a bit high and I cut off a piece of black heater hose and slid it on the shifter lever. It made it bigger in dia. and essentially lowered the shifter a but. Now it shifts great.

Hope that help someone.........