Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Do you need a big bore kit for a 400ex to beat a banshee?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few weeks ago I was at Silver Lake and got to watch about thirty drag races. Most often there were about six to eight quads lined up- say two or three each of Banshees, 400EXs and Raptors. The results were pretty consistent: Raptors and Banshees out front with the 400EXs about four lengths behind after 75 yards. However; there was one 400EX that consistently beat all the Raptors and all the Banshees (except for two wild Banshees). He beat the stock Raptors as bad as the stock Raptor will take a stock 400Ex. I stopped him to see what work he had done to his quad. He had a 416 kit, 11:1 compression, stock carb, ProCircuit full pipe, extended swing arm, GT Thunder cam, K&N with no lid. He made it look easy, but he was a very good rider. A lot of the guys on the Raptors seemed to have a hard time getting a decent hole shot. I think that the second gear on that machine is too tall.

Another thing; after watching many races over the past couple summers, I'd say that most people are not very good at drag racing. You could have a faster machine, but if you can't get a decent holeshot, forget it. I started a lot of the races with the flag on my atv. I was amazed at how many people don't even watch the flag for the start. They watch the other quads and then nail it when the other quad is already moving.