Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Faulty new front wheel bearings.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2024, 03:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 340 Likes on 331 Posts
Default Faulty new front wheel bearings.

Anyone else had this problem? Genuine Honda front wheel bearings for Fourtrax 300 to old model 420 used the same split inner race front wheel bearing. Our non genuine "rebuild kit" supplier always sent similar replacements, they had sheilds on the bearings but were split inner race. A couple of years ago they changed to bearings with no split inner, and we started to get rapid wear on any bike we fitted them to. Also finding the outer races had broken up, when we came to change them. Last couple of 350s had completely gone, wrecking knuckle assemblies and brake shoes. We tried changing suppliers to All ***** but found they were using similar one piece inner races, may be better quality, who knows? However I have no trust in the one piece type bearings now.

Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I have installed alot of aftermarket wheel bearings in over an 40 year span I havent had any issues like the one you have mention are you pressing them in? Driving in with bearing driver? and most have been single race type bearing

Old Today, 02:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 340 Likes on 331 Posts

Like I wrote, never had problems until the supplier started sending the single inner race type replacement bearings. The bearings used by Honda seem to start going round in the knuckle when worn, so many knuckles are actually slightly slack when you come to fit the new bearing. I always Loctite the new bearing in, and replace knuckles on those that are really slack. At £150 each, knuckles are a bit expensive for bikes that are coming to the end of their lives though.

P.S. To answer your question, pressed in with the traditional "socket a midge smaller than the OD of the bearing".

Old Today, 05:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds good, Im not sure on the bearing supplier I know you know this alway make sure the hubs in good condition without any grooves.How long are their lasting?