Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1988 honda fourtrax 300 issues (pleas help)

Search this Thread

Old Today, 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1988 honda fourtrax 300 issues (pleas help)

I have a 1988 fourtrax 300 2x4 that I recently got running again after it sat in a barn for the past 15 years. To start it I have to kick start it and it is hard to get it to start when the engine is cold, but when it is warmed up it runs great and starts first kick. I hope to be able to use the electric start but I am having an issue. Whenever I hook the quad to a jump pack, the engine continuously turns, whether I'm hitting the button or not, or sometimes it will do nothing, even if I push the button. when it is acting as it does in the second scenario that I described, I can see the neutral light dim a little when I push the button, so I believe that the start button is still good (not sure though). In other words, when hooked up to a jump pack, sometimes it continuously turns over even if I'm not touching anything, and sometimes it will do nothing but turn the lights on (won't even turn over when button pushed) I have recently replaced both the starter and the solenoid but not sure what to do next. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.