Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Question...What to do when on a hill climb and the bike stops

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2001, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know how that is on the 400ex, the fronts just lock up, but on some other bikes (like my recon, for example), the front brakes will hold it on a hill do to more weight. I remeber one insident with RdingManiac420 where he was going up a really steep, loose hill with a sharp left turn at the top, and got stuck. With both breaks locked up, it was barely holding, and had the be lowered most of the way down with a toe-rope. We haven't messed with that hill since (it was hardly possible to climb up this hill on your hands and knees). Thank god we had some guy on a cherry tectate-4 to help us out.

Old 05-16-2001, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer

I have the perfect way to get down a hill that I found I was unable to climb a few weeks ago. First thing I did was lock both the back and the front brakes (I was in a panic), jump off the bike and lock the parking brake. Next thing you need is an intercom so you can tell him that you are petrified and come down and rescue me, and a husband that is willing to stop his 400ex, manhandle it around so he can get back to you, and then let him do it! I did manage to ride it back down the hill after he turned it around. I will never attempt that hill again, or anyone like it!
I am an ole chicken. If you go to my picture page, it is the one called Bull Gap.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=11043178&f=0

Old 05-17-2001, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with you WyoRider.

I also climb steep long hills. If you dont make it, you can usually plan bending some parts. But your best bet is to use the front and rear brake (no the front brake wont hold on steep hills) and either have buddies come and help you turn your bike around (cause there's no way to do it yourself on a STEEP hill) or try to ease yourself down.
One time i eased myself down a very long, steep hill. I used both brakes to hold me there and then inched my way back down the hill. It took me probably about 10 minutes to get back down but I came down with no crash.
I have wrecked by going backwards down hills, one time i steered myself sideways and the bike flipped many times. This is easy to do because its hard to come down straight backwards if your going fast.

I dont suggest this way everytime, but if its done right it can be easy. The best thing is try to hold your bike in the spot and have friends help you either pull it up or ease it down.

Old 05-17-2001, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

The front brakes along with your quad in gear will hold you on the hill BUT you must jump off the quad and not stay on it.

Old 05-17-2001, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

just take em as they come........each hill is different

......just ride.......and excercise.....

you will work it out

you soon learn to read the terrain......learn not to go up there etc.....there is no one answer......each time will be different

just remeber........MOMENTUM

ride hard......

Old 05-17-2001, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

i agree with extreme. The other must climb ant hills. f*** that parking brake f*** them other
guys they don't Know sh*t!!!!! Try turning your bike on smaller hills first. Never try backing down a hill, seating on the quad unless its 5 feet high. That a good way to hurt your self.

Old 05-17-2001, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

It's a good idea to have beginners practice on small hills!! I often lift the front of the bike when they are not expecting it and make them show me what they would do. I teach my kids to: lean forward as far as you can; grab the front brake; stand on the back brake; set the parking brake; be sure it's in gear; get off the thing and stand on the UPHILL side of the bike till someone can help you turn it downhill.

Last year at Pismo, my daughter (age 10) was shooting a steep sand bowl. After going around about 5 times she gradually lost momentum and got stuck hanging on the side. I was watching her and she did everything right EXCEPT GET OFF THE BIKE. Feeling secure she sat back to watch a friend who was below her and you guessed it, the bike went over very quickly and she went with it! The bars hit her chest protector and BROKE IT. The thing saved her bacon!

Old 05-17-2001, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

The best thing I've seen someone do on a *really* steep long hill...

Ok.. first off.. forget holding the brakes on the kinda hill I'm talking about.. it ain't gonna work.. period... you're going to back flip it on to yourself and get hurt..

Here is what we *TRY* to do..
As you stop jump off the quad (we prefer to the right side if possile) and bear hug the front tire as tight as you can. Aim your feet at the rear tire and try to lock it up by using your feet. You would then have 3 out of 4 tires locked tight, with 200 to 300 pounds moved from the top of the quad to the bottom, this REALLY lowers the center or gravity. You can hang on till friends get to you, or slowly let pressure off the rear tire and roll it slowly back down the hill. You'll end up dirty and tired at the bottom of the hill, but hopefully you and the quad will bo ready to go.

I have seen this method work a couple times, but when you jump off to far and miss the front tire bear hug, it gets UGLY QUICK, but at least you're not going to get hurt. It's alot easier to fix a quad than it is human bones or worse a neck or spine. Ride smart!

Just my $.02 and what I try to do..

Brad

Old 05-23-2001, 12:14 PM
Range Rover

Here is how I handled it last weekend at Turkey Bay in Kentucky.

First while climbing steep hill (in second gear)the front end starts coming up let off throttle without grabing clutch. Engine dies and you slam on front brake and lean forward and start praying. Start to slide backwards and your buddy on a scrambler is coming up behind you so you turn the handle bars to the right so you can get off the trail so you do not wreck him. At that moment the bike flips over on top of you and does two barrel rolls into the front tire of the scrambler. That sends the raptor into two end over end flips into a tree. Minimal damage to all people and bikes involved.

Boy do I wish I had read this BEFORE going on that trip.

KD

Old 05-23-2001, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

I know this a Honda forum and I'm not trying to stir up anything, but this is one of the reasons I'm glad I got a Scrambler. As soon as the rears break loose, the fronts kick in and keep you going. Its almost impossible to break all 4 wheels loose unless the hill is muddy. Its a good thing too, because trying to turn 550 lbs. around on a steep hill would be almost impossible.

Quick Reply: Question...What to do when on a hill climb and the bike stops