Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

I was Smoked by a Sportsman !

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2001, 09:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will feel better 10 years down the road when you rubicon gives you flawless reliabilty.

Old 06-06-2001, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

The HO will even beat a grizzly,so don't feel bad.Whats the top speed on your Rubi,mine goes 55mph but I very rarely go that fast.

Old 06-06-2001, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

Now you guys no whenever we get together on our Quad of choice EVERYTHING is a COMPETITION ,speed included
It's all fun!

VWVR6 I think your wrong about gaining topend with bigger tires.Whenever I put the26's on mine I lose 8-9-10mph off the top.

Old 06-06-2001, 11:37 PM
Range Rover

That sucks that you got beat. Did you have it in D-1 performance mode, that is what works the best for drag racing. One thing you could check is your air snorkel, the tube that comes out of the air box. Quite a few people have been looking at them on their Honda quad and finding out there is a restriction in the being of it. Honda built it in for some reason, I don't know if it is to meet emission standards or what. If you do modify it you will need to rejet. Oh and another trick for drag racing is to put a little more air in your tires, less rolling resistance, and it might give you an ever so slightly higher top speed, but you still have to keep the pressure within reason.

I agree with the tire thing, they are supposed to give you a higher top speed and take away some of your acceleration. If you don't have enough power to pull them in the high gears you will not go any faster, but your engine won't be turning as much rpm at that speed. The only time I would put bigger tires on is if I was having a problem with ground clearance, really liked the mud holes, or had a modified shaft drive machine that was revving out in top gear.

Old 06-07-2001, 12:21 AM
Range Rover

Being a Honda owner and having friends that own Honda's, I have to say that they are the most reliable, bulletproof quad I've ever rode. One of my friends has an 87 250x. The thing has been to hell and back. Its been pinned up against a tree (literally, It was standing staight up against it), and all it did was break the grab bar off. This was in Brown Mountain for all you NC riders. He was riding down the main road and one of his buddies on a YZ125 fouled a plug. He yelled his name and he (the guy on the 250x) turned around around and when he did he steered his quad of the bank. I would say he was going just about full throttle. I'd like to see another quad hold up as good as that. The ATV has been rolled way to many times to count. The guy riding it pays no attention to what he is doing. Even though this thing has been beat to death, it still runs and rides like it is brand new. I would also like a picture of a polaris towing a honda back. I've never seen a Honda being towed. Honestly, I'm not trying to be all on Hondas, but if you own one, you know what I mean. The downside of honda is they don't always give enough power. The 300ex is a perfect example. What is it 282 cc? They could have jacked that up a little bit and it would probably stay close with a 400ex. Just think, it already stays beside a Warrior. If honda added more power to their quads, they could dominate it all.

Old 06-07-2001, 01:35 AM
Range Rover

Well it's not news that you can't have it all in one package. This holds true for atvs, trucks and women! So speed is not a real strong point for Hondas and Polaris atvs can do things in the mud and snow that other atvs can't. You have to pick the machine to suit your needs. Case in point: The Kodiak has a reputation for being a pretty tight turning utility atv but my wife's Recon 250 completely blows it away turning in tight areas. If someone made an atv that was perfect for everything-I'll bet noone could afford it!

Old 06-07-2001, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

If the Sportsman H.O. made you feel bad, DON'T race a Kawasaki 650. They really have power and speed and throttle response similar to your Rubicon. Even The Quadfather would be impressed if he rode one! Anyway, the Rubicon wasn't designed to be a racer. Dirtwheels said that with the racks loaded without changing shock spring settings on any units, it handled better than the Sportsman, Quadrunner, and the Grizzly, so it has its strong points. It depends what you use it for.

Old 06-07-2001, 12:49 PM
Trailblazer

I don't think that to have a high performance ATV, car or anything means you have to sacrifice reliability. Consider a 250R or Banshee, your "performance" ATV's, they have proven reliable over the years. The YZ 426 is another example, It puts out pretty impressive power and has been reliable. Yet another example is that s2000 honda car. I think it produces about 100 HP per liter (that's impressive). It's like a 2.4l engine producing 240 HP (something like that, not to sure of exact figures). I sure it's just as reliable as their base Honda Civic. Just my .02 cents

Ranc0rider
00 Rancher 4x4 ES

Old 06-07-2001, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Quadfather,

you kill me, now your Kodiak is smokin Ruby's . . . aren't we funny. Actually you will be the joke when you belt slips going through a 3" puddle of water.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2001, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

rancheres: for once, you are right. I am in shock. If my Kodiak gets near water, the belt slips. I'm sure something is loose that should not be, I just haven't had time to go over it. And now, I can't even get it to run, it seems to be starving for fuel. I can't believe they don't have a fuel filter in the line, it's probably dirt in the carb.

And by the way, in a race between MY Kodiak, and my Friends Ruby, the Kodiak always prevails. Maybe he got a slow one, and I got a fast one. It also stomps Suzuki Quadmaster 500s like there's no tomorrow.

Quick Reply: I was Smoked by a Sportsman !