Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

I was Smoked by a Sportsman !

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 06:50 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Green01Ruby,

I went riding a couple weeks ago with some buddies over in Fairchild, Wisconsin.
They had a mud bog race, and there were alot of HO's, Sportsmans, Kodiaks, and 2 Rubicons.
And my 86 ATC 250R.
I had never seen a Rubicon yet, and when the first guy went through I was interested to see what he had "under the hood". I was NOT impressed at all. When he hit the toughest part of the hole where most riders got stuck and spun out, etc, he couldn't even turn his tires. The motor bogged out horribly.
Don't feel too bad about getting beat by a Sportsman HO. I've rode a standard 500 Sporty, and an HO, and there IS a difference. Quite a bit actually. In ALL HONESTY, only 4 quads beat my 3 wheeler in the mud pit if you can believe that (as far as distance). They were all HO's. Some with Mud Tires, some without.
But my buddies got a Sporty 500 (not HO), and he ALWAYS has problems with it. I mean, it's brand new, and he's had it in the shop 15 times or so, no lie. I have a 15 year old 3 Wheeler made by Big Red, and it still blows almost everything away. If you need more power, and it's a common issue with the Ruby, somebody somewhere will make performance kits for it. Just be happy yours will still be running in 15 years.

Take Care, and good luck.

Old 06-07-2001, 08:54 PM
Range Rover

Anyone know what the top speed is supposed to be on a Rubicon? And as far as the belt slipping on the Kodiak-mine never has. Despite being in water up to the headlights more times than I remember it's never skipped a beat. No I'm not saying it's the best water/mud atv made but in my experience the belt slippage thing has been nonexistant. My dad's neighbor has a 2001 Kodiak and his has never given him a problem either. Both of my atvs have been dependable low maintence machines (but only owned the Honda about 3 months).

Old 06-07-2001, 11:18 PM
Trailblazer

Man it's no big deal getting beat by a Sportsman. As long as your happy with your ride that's all that matters. There is always somebody faster if it really bothers you that bad, do something about it. You can do some performance work to it that won't effect your reliability. Port the heads, put a pipe on it, etc. Check with some of the ATV specialty shops to see what they can do to unleash some of it's power.

Old 06-08-2001, 09:45 AM
Range Rover

Thats all I ever hear out of some of these Honda 4x4 owners is how reliable they are.Is that the only area that you think your Hondas are best? Must be. Because every time a honda gets out done by some other brand atv somebody will get on here and say "well it might be better at this or that but my Honda is bulletproof and it will last forever and ever and never tear up or break down" HORSE HOCKY! You know I've been trail riding for five years and the only quad I've ever seen being pulled out of the woods broke down was a Honda. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2001, 10:12 AM
Range Rover

Packrat,

I'm just telling the guy that there's more to an ATV than winning drag races with it.
Ask just about anybody, and they'll tell you that Honda makes, and has ALWAYS made the most reliable ATV's.
I'm not a super Honda fan, and in fact, am looking into getting a Raptor or new Wolverine when it comes out, but I've ridden a Honda since I was 12 years old. (you were probably not even born yet).
Sure, it broke down, but the thing was beat to hell when I got it, and the thing is still running today.
I never won any races with it, but I didn't complain.

Just my $.02

Old 06-08-2001, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

packrat, come down here and ride.....you will see EVERY type of quad broke down. There is not prejudice when it comes to the thick mud and deep water.

Old 06-08-2001, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

I would rather take the extra power now than take the extra resale money years from now. People buy these machines to ride not to sell. Also it Canada it cost $1500 more to have the less power of the Rubicon compared to the SP, go figger.

Old 06-08-2001, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

Tim1,Why don't come down here for a ride and I will show what the ruby is all about,Trust me when you leave your attitude towards them will change.I am not going to sit and type the experience I had riding with Polaris because who is going to beleive it .I talk from riding and trying lots of different things,you would be amazed and my Rubicon is no underpowered dog.Lots of throttle responce and that is more important then you would beleive in the type of riding I do. Later

Mark

Old 06-08-2001, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 06-08-2001, 03:51 PM
Range Rover

Quadfather....for once I can agree with you 100%!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Eric

Quick Reply: I was Smoked by a Sportsman !