Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250R Complete Rebuild Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2001, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a 86 250R with a blown motor, and chasis thats in great shape for only $500!! The chasis is completely together, while the engine(bottom end and transmission included...is in pieces). I'm 15 and I'm going to be completely rebuilding the engine and chasis myself with my money from working. I will try to update this post daily to let you know how it's coming along and with any tips I have on certain areas. Let me know what you think of my summer project as it comes along. Thanks

Old 06-06-2001, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

June 6, 2001

On this post there will be work I've previously done and didn't post.

I first took off my front brakes, since the front wheels were completely locked up. I took off the calipers, only to find that the pistons in them, would not release the pressure. I finally got them out, and i cleaned out the cylinders, and then i lubricated the piston and rings with brake fluid. One side i got done, but the other side will trying to get the piston out, i completely smashed the piston into a bunch of pieces. I've yet to order a replacement but i will soon, and hope that everything works right. My rotors were not warped so they're good.

There was some rust on the inside of my front shocks. So i removed them and disassembled them. I wire brushed all of the rust off the shocks, then reassembled them. I have not put them back on yet.

Now for the engine.

I took all of my engine parts out of the box, and cleaned them all. I will prolly clean them one more time better, before i put everything together.

Then i layed them all out on a table and started grouping together transmission parts. I completely assembled the transmission today, minus one spacer washer that i was missing. I'm going to order it.

Next i completely assembled the kick starter spindle. I'm only missing a spacer washer on it also. I will order it.

Next i started on my top end. I completely assembled my top end, and everything was there. I took it to my local machine shop and had him check it out. Everything worked out perfect and no boring or replacements are required. The piston fits the cylinder perfectly.

Next i took the Machine Shop my Bottom End Casing. The bearing on the weight transfer gear infront of the crankshaft, had broke and all of the bearing shot a whole through the crankcase houseing. I had the machinest weld up the hole and i've yet to try to put it back all the way together since i don't have a gasket, but the machinest said if anything didn't match up perfectly, he would grind them even so they would.

I was looking at my clutch and it's all good except for the clutch center. A rod on it had broke, so that will have to be replaced. Also i need new springs. They'll be ordered.

On order right now i have some air box and radiator componets that the quad was missing when i bought it.

Old 06-07-2001, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

June 7

Today I didn't do any work on the engine or quad at all. My airbox and tubes came in today, and I ordered all of the parts i needed to rebuild my engine. They'll be in soon and hopefully I'll be able to start back on my project.

Again, if you have any suggestions or comments feel free to post them.

Old 06-07-2001, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

I wish I had a 250r to put together! Man you will have a great machine when your done if you take your time and do things right.

Old 06-08-2001, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

Dont get the 86 clutch rod and etc.. Go with the 89 setup its alot better. The 89 kit you will get a new clutch rod, clutch lifter, bearing, washer and you'll need the 89 pressure plate. You can either order these from your local dealer or I know Nacs sells the complete kit. The 86 uses ball bearings inside the clutch lifter and rod and the bearing tend to wear and so does the clutch rod and this will cause alot of free play in your clutch so I would just get the 89 set up and save yourself from tearing into it at a later date. Good luck and have fun.

Old 06-08-2001, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

All of the clutch componets you said i would have to replace are good and i wasn't planning on replacing them. How much will the kit cost though?

Old 06-08-2001, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer

I think the clutch update kits are around 60$.