Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX: Jumping >> Does size matter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any advantage / disadvantage in having big, 22" rear tires when jumping? Would smaller tires make the flihgt and landing easier?

Old 06-27-2001, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

I've always heard that the smaller in diameter the better the landings.I dunno tho cuz I've never tried it.

Old 06-27-2001, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

anyone know why smaller tires would make a better landing?

Old 06-28-2001, 12:43 AM
Trailblazer

My wife informed me that size always matters...

Old 06-28-2001, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

Well, if you stop and think about it, smaller diameter tires have a smaller tire radius. Therefore, there would be less tire to absorb the shock upon impact. Theoretically there would be more shock to the axel and swing arm resulting with a rougher landing.

For example, a 22" tire has 11" to absorb impact. That is, of course, at any point on the tire (because of its radial geometry). Now, take a 20" tire, and here we have 10" to absorb the shock. From a theroetical standpoint, the larger the tire diameter, the LESS shock upon landing. The tire and rim absorb some shock before hitting the axel!

Also, consider a car with low profile tires on it. The ride is extremely unconfortable. That is due to the lack of shock absorption. The only difference with your question and the low profiled car, is the degree of shock involved. Theoretically, all parameters stay constant except for the extent of the shock.

You must consider the magnitude of which we are considering. Diffrences of 1" exist and when you are jumping, I doubt that many would notice the difference between one and two inches.

The only thing that I could think would make a noticable difference in landing would be tire pressure. The higher the pressure, the greater the force within the tire and therefore, making it "harder". Landing on "hard" tires versus "soft" tires is different for obvious reasons.

When you look at the entire specturm, the tire diameters are practically negligble because of the magnitude of the inch or so change, as compared to the rest of the bike. Of course, if you make huge changes in diameters, there will be a definite change in landing shock. If you are seriously unhappy with your landings, I would change the suspension. That is entirely different and slight changes would have more of an impact on how your quad rides and lands. With a suspension, moment arms are involved and forces can be altered extremely easily from the slightest movements of part contacts.

Good luck with what you decide.

NT

Old 06-28-2001, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah but if you had smaller wheels you would have more shock travel like you said so it would land better.

Old 06-28-2001, 11:55 AM
Trailblazer

Actually you should have the same shock travel with large wheels as you do with small wheels, unless the large wheels are hitting a part of the machine when it bottoms out.

I agree with everything that N3C0T0 said. However, I would like to add one more thought. If you get taller wheels, you may want to consider adding some width to your machine with either taller and wider wheels, or longer axle, or longer A-arms or something. For if you add taller wheels without adding width, you might cause the machine to be slightly more unstable during landings due to the fact that you have made the machine taller but not wider. However to quote N3C0T0, "I doubt that many would notice the difference between one and two inches."

I personnally have 22" rears on my 400 and I love to jump.